Wheel rims rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

I ride a carbon road bike with carbon wheels (aluminium rim). If the calipers are closed so that they are anywhere near the rim (as they should be), I find that when im sprinting out of the saddle the rims are rubbing against the pads, and the only way around it is to leave quite a big gap between the pads and rims.

I can't see any obvious buckling to the wheel, so my question is, is it the wheel that is flexing or the frame??

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Front or rear or both?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Probably the wheel - which is why good ones cost the earth.

You could check that there is no play in the hub as this will add to the problem.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Doubt its the frame, most likely the wheel flexing or some play in the hub. Try pushing the wheel side to side, if there is any flop, then the hub needs adjusting.

Zoiders

This may be considered impolite but...how much do you weigh and whats the limit on the wheels and frame?

A more traditional build may offer less of a wibble if you are portly.

GrasB

Veteran
[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1311003691' post='1756414']
Are your spokes tight? Do they go 'ting' when you ting them?
[/quote]
This would be my prime suspect. Apparently you could see my cheapish Shimano rear flexing when I was putting in the power out of the saddle... £35 to my preferred wheel builder & virtually no flex. Every sub-£300 wheel set I've had ended up going to him to get them tensioned up properly.

amaferanga

Veteran
How close do you have the brake pads? I think you'll always get a little flex in rear wheels when sprinting so if you have the pads say a mm from the rim then you might have issues. If they're further away than that and your still getting some rub then your wheels might need a half turn or so extra tension in them. What wheels do you have?

Top Bottom