W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bearings, friction and things like a slight warping causing the rim to clip the brake pads once per revolution and the rotating mass of the wheel.
You're not alone in the compulsion - on a couple of my bikes with Campagnolo hubs I can set the wheel spinning, wander off and potter about for a bit and come back what feels like minutes later and they're still spinning!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But which is correct, should they spin for a good while or not?

The full carbon Bontrega jobbies (not cheap) I have on road bike hardly spin for more than a few revolutions before stopping, the Shimano A319 wheels which were on my old bike went on for ages.
I've got a pair of old Maillard 'Wide flange' hubbed wheels that I cleaned and rebuilt the hubs and got John to build into wheels that you'd get fed up waiting for them to stop, not only that but once they've lost enough inertia to fully rotate they'll swing back and forward for minutes before coming to a stop with the valve at the bottom. They're 78/79* hubs though so built when quality was still in fashion :becool:

* I can't remember which year is which hub front/back but the back wheel (sans Chain) is nearly as good as the front, when I took them into the shop John was very impressed and on collecting the built wheels he reckoned they were the best hubs he'd seen in a long time and were adjusted to perfection. :becool:

gbb

Legendary Member
As a kid when we had well made wheels on even modest bikes, wheels that had a oiling nipple so no need to grease hubs, the wheels would spin for an eternity.
Another factor, wheels with 'cartridge' bearings, age matters. I brought a new pair of Fulcrum 5s to replace a well used cheap set which were heavy but did spin well. The new Fulcrums were very disappointing at first, I could feel the drag, the newness and tightness of the bearings was very noticeable. That will naturally free up with a bit of time.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
But which is correct, should they spin for a good while or not?

The full carbon Bontrega jobbies (not cheap) I have on road bike hardly spin for more than a few revolutions before stopping, the Shimano A319 wheels which were on my old bike went on for ages.
Another factor is wheel rotating mass / moment of inertia. At the same rotational speed and bearing drag etc a wheel with a lower moment of inertia (in simplified terms with a lighter tyre and rim) will slow and stop faster than a heavy one. I'd not expect wheel mass (and hence spinning time) to vary by much more than a factor of two and would suggest that if you're seeing greater differences than this other factors are at play.

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bear in mind that wheels that spin and spin with no load on and settle pendulum-like with the valve at the bottom, implying excellent (minimal) bearing friction, may not perform comparatively as well when the bearings are vertically loaded (ie when ridden).
Yep the 2 don't necessarily go together, poorly adjusted (loose) bearings might spin well unloaded but not perform too well on the road also adding stress to the axle and as for the manufacturers method of getting them so tight they barely turn and with virtually no grease on em. :cursing:

Reactions: C R

Mfezela

Whenever I pass an unattended bike I get an overwhelming urge to press the tyres to check the pressures. I can't help it, no matter how hard I try.

I get the overwhelming urge to punch the person who does this and any of the following whilst I'm standing next to the bike; ring the bell, squeeze the brakes, try to rotate the bar ends, reach down to tighten/remove the valve cap, thumb push on the saddle, adjust the rear view mirror, look closely at the GPS/cellphone/map. Always without ****** asking 👿

Top Bottom