Wheel tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I do not know much about tubeless wheels.

I took my Hunt wheels into my LBS in Denmark to get tubeless tyres fitted. He has asked me to get isometric wheel tape from Hunt as he rarely deals with this type of wheel and the tape he has will not seal them.

To thoses who know about wheels. Does this make any sense? I thought wheel tape was just wheel tape.

I do not doubt the mechanic as he has been dealing with my bikes for about 15 years.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Normal rim tape is thicker and not air tight. You’ll need to know the inner rim width then buy some suitable width tubeless tape. Usually goes round the rim twice to make the air tight seal. Bear that in mind when looking at the length you are ordering.

Jody

Stubborn git
Tesa 4289 in your given width if you want decent tape without the "tubeless" premium being added.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Normal rim tape is thicker and not air tight. You’ll need to know the inner rim width then buy some suitable width tubeless tape. Usually goes round the rim twice to make the air tight seal. Bear that in mind when looking at the length you are ordering.

Would a bike shop not stock this tape. He is talking as if there is something about these wheels that need a special tape that only Hunt can supply.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hunt haven't got a monopoly on tubeless rim tape. You do need the proper tubeless tape though, if you are going to run them tubeless, but lots of brands to choose from. suggest you do a bit of research / reading on the maintenance / sealant top up regime you need to undertake until
I do not know much about tubeless wheels.
..no longer applies.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have been in touch with Hunt and ordered what they suggested. Failing that I can always revert to tubes.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Forgive my total ignorance but the tape for tubeless is to seal spoke holes is it?? Don't know why but I'd assumed the rim would be smooth and already "solid metal" thus sealed?? But I know nothing of these things as it's tubes for me.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Forgive my total ignorance but the tape for tubeless is to seal spoke holes is it?? Don't know why but I'd assumed the rim would be smooth and already "solid metal" thus sealed?? But I know nothing of these things as it's tubes for me.

If you're using standard spokes & nipples (generally a good idea) then you need to be able to insert the nipples. The tape should be wide enough - pretty much the full width of the rim - to seal against the tyre, and strong enough not to balloon into any holes.

Top Bottom