Wheel Upgrade: Alloy v Carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,
I am considering upgrading wheels, I have seen many discussions about the relative merits of carbon v alloy but I am wondering how the comparison works at the lower-end of the market?
Specifically;
- budget £400 to £800,
- not looking for deep rims, 30mm (+/-)
- focus on ride quality/stability not speed

I see there are a number of alloy wheelsets in this price range that are 200 to 300grams lighter than carbon ones.
What would be the benefit (if any) of carbon compared with a notably (i.e 200g +) lighter alloy wheelset?

What other factors should be considered?
(for the record.... will be using 28mm tubeless)

thanks in anticipation..
C.O.M.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: £400-800 cannot be described as "the lower end of the market" for (say) 30mm rims imo.
Other factors: rim brake v disc brake (rims).
Seek an internal rim width of min 18mm (in the spirit of 'upgrade') since you want to run 28s.
Given you want to "focus on ride quality/stability not speed" and "upgrade" what "stability" deficit do you perceive with your current wheelset?
If that's the focus look for a high spoke count which will influence quality/stability level. Double butted not bladed spokes (given "not speed").
I take it you are already running GP5000TL or one of the other top tyres, as that will have a far greater influence on ride quality.
An independent wheelbuilder will construct a superb bespoke set of wheels for you within that price bracket.
Our local and highly regarded man is Mark and the Pollard crew at http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/
Their website has lots of info (see 'Technical Blurb') and give him a call or drop them a line (see quote below) - I'll be riding past there this evening.
"I like to discuss the requirements of the customer with them personally and then recommend the most appropriate choice of rim, hub and spokes for their purposes. Each wheelset is handbuilt by me to closer tolerances than machine built wheels can normally achieve. Delivery is usually around 6-10 days"

OP
OP
C
:welcome: £400-800 cannot be described as "the lower end of the market" for (say) 30mm rims imo.
Other factors: rim brake v disc brake (rims).
Seek an internal rim width of min 18mm (in the spirit of 'upgrade') since you want to run 28s.
Given you want to "focus on ride quality/stability not speed" and "upgrade" what "stability" deficit do you perceive with your current wheelset?
If that's the focus look for a high spoke count which will influence quality/stability level. Double butted not bladed spokes (given "not speed").
I take it you are already running GP5000TL or one of the other top tyres, as that will have a far greater influence on ride quality.
An independent wheelbuilder will construct a superb bespoke set of wheels for you within that price bracket.
Our local and highly regarded man is Mark and the Pollard crew at http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/
Their website has lots of info (see 'Technical Blurb') and give him a call or drop them a line (see quote below) - I'll be riding past there this evening.
"I like to discuss the requirements of the customer with them personally and then recommend the most appropriate choice of rim, hub and spokes for their purposes. Each wheelset is handbuilt by me to closer tolerances than machine built wheels can normally achieve. Delivery is usually around 6-10 days"
Thanks for your detailed and informative reply, much appreciated.
To clarify:
disc brakes.
upgrade is for a bike not yet received (in buying process), so no deficit/problem with current set up.
Yes, will be GP5000 or similar.

In short....having not ridden with carbon rims previously don't have any experience to fall back on, I am considering what benefit the extra cost would bring over a lighter alloy rim.

C.O.M.

I'm not sure what improvement you'll get in ride quality. Fit wider tyres for a comfy ride. Fit deeo rims for a faster ride.

If you haven't got the bike yet - see what the standard Wheels are like first. They msy be just what you need.

Sallar55

Veteran
Are your new wheels non disc, just for dry runs then its carbon. Carbon rims wear faster when wet, spray off wheels and crap. Another it's braking in the wet, sometimes you can count to 3 before they work and that's with the good Swisstop carbon pads. Disc wheels are the way to go if you want carbon rims, no wear and brakes are good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH I'd get the lighter alloy wheel if not after specific aero issues, and in hilly areas. Double check where the weight is - no point having a super light hub and heavyish rim - rim weight makes the difference in spin up.

Ajax Bay

Guru
To clarify:
disc brakes.
upgrade is for a bike not yet received (in buying process)
As the OP said, the new wheels they are considering are for disc brakes,
looking for 30mm (+/-) rims with a "focus on ride quality/stability not speed".
Only other things, @Cranky Old Man is to prefer centrelock as opposed to 6-bolt hubs (though I guess best to duplicate what the new bike's wheels have). OP has said 'tubeless 28s' so ensure rim/tyre compatibility. The new bike will determine whether thru-axle or QR hubs.
And agree with @cougie uk "see what the standard wheels are like first" unless there are 'expenditure authority' issues which militate an integrated 'yes darling, just a bike and wheels' approach/strategy.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I've found that good carbon rims generally provide a slightly more comfortable riding experience, for me I noticed an immediate reduction in road vibration moving from a good set of alloy handbuilt wheels to a carbon wheelset using the same tyres in the same width (28mm) and this was with a 50mm set of rims.

I would probably lean towards getting a carbon wheelset over alloy with disc brakes as they will likely last the lifespan of the bike anyway, but that being said, which wheelsets have you looked at currently (alloy & carbon) as some here might have experience with them and be able to offer an opinion.

PXL_20220330_151605607.jpg

I've just brought these from Merlin. So far so good. (In that they have lifted my spirits whilst suffering from covid !!!)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not sure what improvement you'll get in ride quality. Fit wider tyres for a comfy ride. Fit deeo rims for a faster ride.

If you haven't got the bike yet - see what the standard Wheels are like first. They msy be just what you need.

Absolutely this. It's irrational to immediately upgrade something, unless the standard spec item is found to be lacking in some way. Also the bike manufacturers have cheaper access to high spec components than the general public do, so it's unlikely to be cost-effective either, compared with simply buying a higher spec bike to start with.

OP
OP
C
Thanks all for your useful feedback. I have decided that if I upgrade, it will be carbon. Might ride with the existing wheels initially.

unless there are 'expenditure authority' issues which militate an integrated 'yes darling, just a bike and wheels' approach/strategy.
Sort of, yes! But also, the bike shop would give me a credit for the old wheels...so they are worth more to me "new" than "used".

Top Bottom