Wheels and Cassette mix - MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
I'm half thinking of upgrading wheels and am lost on something. Now I've only looked at a few wheels physically, as It's all I've come across in shops and at the moment that isn't my problem - I'm in no rush and have no choices in mind.

but this is my problem.
On both I've seen, it says to use a rear cassette that is "joined", on a carrier would you call it, not single cogs, so you dont damage the splines, spread the load. I can see why you would do this. One manual had a picture of separate cogs with a big X over it, the other picture on the manual had a joined cassette but the littlest cog or two were loose, and it had a tick. Same sorta thing as the manual said for the other.

Now when I Look at a Shimano XT 770 cassette, seems like an upmarket choice to match an upmarket wheel, but it has the last 4 cogs loose, the Biggest 5 joined up on a splined carrier. Is it possible Shimano's upmarket bread and butter cassette is not suitable for good quality wheels?

Why are smaller cogs not joined? do they do less damage?

I'm kinda lost.

Jeff

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You are right about all of it. The XT cassette has 3 or 4 loose cogs at the bottom end, and ideally they would all be joined to satisfy the requirements for a fixed cassette.
They are loose i think for weight reasons...

i wouldn't overly worry. i've used XT cassettes for years on all manner of wheels that recomend a fixed set of cogs. no problems at all

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
You are right about all of it. The XT cassette has 3 or 4 loose cogs at the bottom end, and ideally they would all be joined to satisfy the requirements for a fixed cassette.
They are loose i think for weight reasons...

i wouldn't overly worry. i've used XT cassettes for years on all manner of wheels that recomend a fixed set of cogs. no problems at all

Ok, thanks.
I find it interesting when I come on a new problem, follow it logically and then ....get stuck....
Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Crankarm

Guru
Sprockets can be individual or joined in groups on a carrier. The latter to apparently improve strength. IME I have seen no such benefit. I think it is more a case of Shimano making it impossible to change individual sprockets if they are joined by a carrier. You have to buy a whole new cassette. However Campag do individual sprockets which are easy to swap. Some argue that individual sprockets damage the freewheel on which they sit, but only if it is made of cheese.

Why not fit a road cassette on a MTB such as a 12-25 or 11-23. Much lighter and not so many holes in the spread of gears.

MichaelM

Guru
Crankarm said:
Sprockets can be individual or joined in groups on a carrier. The latter to apparently improve strength. IME I have seen no such benefit. I think it is more a case of Shimano making it impossible to change individual sprockets if they are joined by a carrier. You have to buy a whole new cassette. However Campag do individual sprockets which are easy to swap. Some argue that individual sprockets damage the freewheel on which they sit, but only if it is made of cheese.

Why not fit a road cassette on a MTB such as a 12-25 or 11-23. Much lighter and not so many holes in the spread of gears.

I'm in total agreement with you. I've got an Ultegra 12-27, the largest 2, then the next largest 3 are on a carrier; I've also got a 13-25. The 25 is a single gog, then the 21 & 23 are together, and then 16,17,19. What that means is that I can't "customise" cassette.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Crankarm said:
Sprockets can be individual or joined in groups on a carrier. The latter to apparently improve strength. IME I have seen no such benefit. I think it is more a case of Shimano making it impossible to change individual sprockets if they are joined by a carrier. You have to buy a whole new cassette. However Campag do individual sprockets which are easy to swap. Some argue that individual sprockets damage the freewheel on which they sit, but only if it is made of cheese aluminium.

FTFY;)

Crankarm said:

Well, if you don't need MTB gearing then why get an MTB at all???

Top Bottom