Wheels - Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
I'm so glad I stuck with this thread.

Jimbo said 'Radical'.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
petmcgratt said:
I am a newbie to cycling and like most newbies went for a cheaper option bike Vitus Alios Triple from Chain reaction Cycles. I personally think I got a great deal as it retailed at £750 and by the time I got it at a reduced price of £299 not to mention the further reduction as I bought it through cycle to work scheme. However, I have been toying with the idea of changing my wheels from the rigida flyer noir to something like the camapagnolo Khamsin which are selling at the moment for £119. Is there much poin in me doing this or as some people have pointed out in other threads you are better putting the money into upgrading to a better bike. Waht do other people think up the campagnolo khamsin?

Hey petmcgratt,
I bought the same bike at the same price, if your new then I wouldn't worry about buying new wheels - the thought crossed my mind but I plan on buying a much better bike next year so figured I'm better using what I have till it wears out then replace as required. In the mean time save my pennies for the new bike. I did replace the very crappy tyres to Vittoria Rubino Pros (in white!) - they run at 120psi, run smoother and faster, grip better too - this can have up to 75% of the benefit of replacing the wheels/tyres.

A Spesh Allez won't be a much better bike and buying £150 wheels to put on that won't help things much in the long run. I'd say overall keep your bike as it is - although I also replaced the stem, seat post and saddle just to get the right position and comfort for longer rides (2hrs+). This can be your winter/training bike once you upgrade in the future.
In the mean time get out and ride to improve your fitness levels so that when you can get a better bike you have the fitness to take advantage of it ;) Lastly if you haven't got proper shoes and clipless pedals then get those too - again big difference to your performance compared to cycling without these.
HTH

petmcgratt

Thanks, Kev.
I have essentially done the same with my tyres and also the seat. I replaced the tyres with schwalbe lugano and put a selle italia seat on it also. You are probably right about upgrading the whole bike. As it happens the bike wheel is playing up and is in my local bike shop as I thinnk the bearings have gone. This is the second time I have had problems with the back wheel. first time the spokes loosened and needed retrued which CRC did but told me it was general wear and tare so they normally would have charged for this.

peter

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Hi Pete,
Bearings gone? have you put a lot of miles on it already or are your pretty big? Not had any probs with mine except a small bit of trueing due to pot holes which I did myself. They are not the best best but can't expect more for the price of the bike - even at the slightly optimistic RRP of £749 - compares better with £500-£600 bikes really. If the bearings have gone and you've got the cash then getting a decent set of wheels such as Fulcrum 7's or maybe even 5's or comparible Campag ones (I think campag own Fulcrum) would be good for long term relaibility, I just wouldn't expect them to make a massive difference to your performance especially as you've arleady replaced the tyres. It's a big part of the fun of cycling IMO always wanting to spend money on your bike :rolleyes: I'm always tempted but never have the money xx(

Top Bottom