Wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
That's a good idea. I already run a couple of disc wheelsets but with a canti brake on the back. I'll probably go for a full disc frame next year. Van Dessel is the only contender so far that ticks all the boxes; Disc & Canti + BB30.

A friend races the Full Tilt Boogie. Loves it.

Howard

Mmm yes - it's probably going to be that or the G&T.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Spa will build those Ambrosio hubs into a wheelset. They do other combinations as well of course. I do not know how good Spa are at wheels or whether they will ship to Spain. Good luck!

Spa won't build anything for me. They refused to even quote me for shipping to Spain because it's "too expensive", I assume they're very busy and don't need the work.

Strada didn't even reply to my message. I assume they're also very busy and don't need the work.

I've just bought some factory built wheels from Wiggle for now. They'll do for the day to day stuff, and I'll have to think again when it comes to touring. It will cost me more money in the long run, but I never thought cycling was a cheap hobby.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It isn't. Weights: Tiagra rear hub 348g, 105 same weight (2004 model), Ultegra 2007 410g. For Campag rear : Centuar 260g, Mirage 2007 303g, Record 231g. To beat the weight of the Record in Shimano pattern you'd have to spend serious cash on a DT Swiss, American Classic, or Tune hub. Only economic hub that I know of that is even close is the Ambrosio one above. Depends on your definition of 'light' I guess. Less than 1kg for a rear wheel is mine (does not include skewer, tube or tyre though).

Anyway I agree with everything else you say. Only drawback is don't Hope rear hubs make a very loud noise when freewheeling? The OP might not mind that though.

Fair enough on weights. As you say, depends on definition of "light", I wasn't in "weight-weenie" mode as we were talking about wheels that could take big tyres for rough surfaces. And the weight difference between a 30mm and a 40mm tyre is likely to be more than the difference in hub weights to which you allude, it's rotating weight too so more significant effect.

Hope freehub noise? You can certainly hear it, but it's not a banshee wail like you hear on the yuo tube clips of some of the American ones. More of loud "buzzzzz". It gets a little bit quieter after the first few 100km, but still excellent for warning pedestrians on cycle paths. I think if you freewheel often for short periods it might get irritating, but I ride fixed day to day, so I'm used to keeping the legs turning. You'd think the noise would soak up energy somehow... but freewheeling downhill they roll better than any silent hub I've come across - with added advantage the guy in front know you are coming up on him. :evil:

Christopher

Über Member
Sorry to hear that about Spa, lulubel. What an annoying attitude from them - and from Strada too. But I hope you have enough information so you can sort some decent touring wheels out eventually.

Fair enough about freehub noise, my Shimano ones are so quiet it is dangerous. I have just taken apart a wheel with a Sun hub whose freehub was so noisy it drove me crazy. I am mothballing the hub 'cause I can't adjust it properly after damaging it - cones loosened off and I damaged the pawls. Hub is pretty much junk...

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Fulcrum Racing 7's - had a pair on my cross bike for just over 2 years and boy have they been abused, brilliant wheels.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Fulcrum Racing 7's - had a pair on my cross bike for just over 2 years and boy have they been abused, brilliant wheels.

I ended up with a set of Racing 5 CX, and they seem to be doing the job nicely for what I need at the moment. I don't think I'd be confident to tour on wheels with such a low spoke count, though.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Cool, as I said in my original reply, my fulcrum wheels have been through hell on my cross bike, everything from loaded rack/pannier rides along rough uneven canal paths to full blown CX sportive rides, you certainly made a good choice.

Howard

I ended up with a set of Racing 5 CX, and they seem to be doing the job nicely for what I need at the moment. I don't think I'd be confident to tour on wheels with such a low spoke count, though.

Touring: it's not the count that you have to worry about - it's whether the spokes are proprietary or not. If so, and you pop one, you may make it to a helpful bike store, but they may not be able to help you...

Bring spare spokes.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Touring: it's not the count that you have to worry about - it's whether the spokes are proprietary or not. If so, and you pop one, you may make it to a helpful bike store, but they may not be able to help you...

Bring spare spokes.

As I said in an earlier post, if I have a problem, I'll replace my own spokes. I still wouldn't tour on wheels with less than 32 spokes, though. The spoke count does affect how much abuse a wheel can take.

Top Bottom