Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Ribble have Shimano R501's going for just £70. Im just a little concerned that with only 20
+ 24 spokes, wether they would be man enough for a bit of bridlepath/footpath/trail work. Any opinions or experience with these wheels appreciated

I'm guessing you have a hybrid bike as R501's are a road wheel, personally ,no I wouldn't use them off road.

VamP

Banned
My wife has them on her hybrid. Robust wheels, not particuly light. They should be okay unless you're heavy and hardcore. In which case I assume you wouldn't be looking at them to begin with.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
My wife has them on her hybrid. Robust wheels, not particuly light. They should be okay unless you're heavy and hardcore. In which case I assume you wouldn't be looking at them to begin with.

+1. Also since this is the mtb forum, if your bike is a mtb then their rear hubs are nearly always 135mm wide, while road bike rear hubs like these are 130mm, and that is assuming you have a 29'er, otherwise the rim diameter would be wrong too.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Def NOT hardcore....as I say, its bridleways, footpaths and tracks. I am using Alex S500's at the moment, and they are standing up to whatever abuse I am throwing at them, it was the lack of spokes on the R501's that bothered me. I have used them previously on road, and was pleased with them then, but wasnt sure they were up to the extra stesses involved. ATEOTD, £70's a bargain, so I may well give them a go anyway. As for the 5mm differ between MTB and road frames, I usually add or remove spacers accordingly. Its never been an issue.

Top Bottom