Wheelset advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raymo73

Hi everyone. Just signed up and looking for some advice

I am deciding between two wheelsets for my boardman cx team.

Either Mavic Elite allroad 30 or shimano rx700 c30

I ride a mix of road, canal paths and want to also ride some more off road

Any thoughts? Buying through cycle to work so getting a good deal

Thanks

Ray

What's wrong with your existing wheels?

Milzy

Guru
I would personally go for the Shimano. They’re not far off the Dura-ace tbh & I’ve never been a fan of any Mavic kit. I like to watch Mike Cottys the Col collective but the Mavic rubbish hurts my eyes.

Is there something wrong with that?

I changed my commuter bikes wheels for Hunt wheels. My commute is my main form of "training".
And the Hunt wheels help your training commute how?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Go for it . .i love light wheels, Mavics are great, never had a failure touch wood.
Im after some 29er 30 external maybe 27mm carbons for my Epic tho i may get alloy if i can get around 1.5kg for a pair.

I have some mavic proSL wheels thet i got from CrC for £300 rrp was £760 fabulous light wheels and some Elites which are about 1.6kg which were 500 down to 220 with good tyres fitted in CrC sale.. Theme going on here.. Lol

They have a set of Carbon Mavics at 790 ish down from 1500. I'm very tempted but i cant really justify that on wheels.

Hunt wheels are super nice quality at around 300-350 for your cx.. I may get there 29er alloy as there only 330 touch.

Weight difference on the mavic elite wheels that i got was 2kg lighter than the ones fitted to the trek ebike, 2kg!! Tyres and going tubeless for 2kg but wheel weight was about 1kg

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi everyone. Just signed up and looking for some advice

I am deciding between two wheelsets for my boardman cx team.

Either Mavic Elite allroad 30 or shimano rx700 c30

I ride a mix of road, canal paths and want to also ride some more off road

Any thoughts? Buying through cycle to work so getting a good deal

Thanks

Ray
Mavics everytime for me, ignore the negatives on here, if thats what you want, go for it, a lot of cycling is the feel good factor, if you feel good your rides are more enjoyable.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mavics everytime for me, ignore the negatives on here, if thats what you want, go for it, a lot of cycling is the feel good factor, if you feel good your rides are more enjoyable.
Absolutely, you have to want to ride your bike, it's a big factor. Just don't expect a change of wheels to transform the experience unless the current wheels are complete carp!

Watch out for noisy freehubs! Some of my newer bikes have noisy freehubs and they spoil the ride for me (but not quite enough to make me change them). Was out with Mrs Skol last weekend and she was quite shocked by the noise when I stopped pedalling. If/when they are worn out I will be replacing with something quiet, probably with a Shimano hub.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Absolutely, you have to want to ride your bike, it's a big factor. Just don't expect a change of wheels to transform the experience unless the current wheels are complete carp!

Watch out for noisy freehubs! Some of my newer bikes have noisy freehubs and they spoil the ride for me (but not quite enough to make me change them). Was out with Mrs Skol last weekend and she was quite shocked by the noise when I stopped pedalling. If/when they are worn out I will be replacing with something quiet, probably with a Shimano hub.

If you want quiet hubs stay well away from Hunt wheels, my wife has two sets, Have tried to silence them with a thicker greese but only last a few miles. My mavics are nice and quiet, nobody hears me when i am free wheeling behind them.:okay:

Top Bottom