Wheelsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Okay some help and advice!

I have a Specialized Roubaix Comp. Mavic Aksium Race wheelset, with 5000 miles on the clock.

I have had a problem with the rear for ages in that the cassette can move around if the wheel is not seated in the right way. I need a new cassette so now is the time to sort it!

So do I buy a new axle for £40 or would I see any performance/ride improvement by upgrading them to a set of Mavic Cosmic Elite or anything else around the £320 mark?

The Aksium are around £160 for a set, do you think the jump in price will be seen in the ride?

VamP

Banned
I think you need to expand on 'cassette can move around' and 'buy a new axle' before anyone can usefully respond.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

I think that when it was put together it was not secured properly and I went on to cycle a 3k on it and at least the last 300 miles the gears where slipping and jumping, I had it serviced and the nut was burred through the slipping at least this is how I understood it!

VamP

Banned
Are you saying the hub is now defunct?

As to your question about the wheelsets - yes the Cosmics are a better wheelset than the Aksiums, but as ever there is a law of diminishing returns. It also depends what you want to do with your new wheelset. It sounds like you enjoy long range touring - and I would argue that a good set of handbuilts - say using the Velocity A23 rim - would be a better choice than the Cosmics.

Ultimately, though it comes down to you and how much you are hankering after a new toy. Rebuilt Aksiums with a new hub would also be pretty decent, and I would argue you should get them rebuilt anyway - always handy to have a second wheelset.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

15 miles each way commuting with a reasonable amount of climbing and descending reasonable paced rides 15-17 avg.

I think I am leaning towards a re-build of the rear and maybe treat myself in the summer.

The word two people have said is the part I need is not sold and I can only get it by buying a new Axle from Mavic, might take a picture later!

Nice wheels the Elites - personally I find the mid-range front wheels much of a muchness and would go for a new Elite rear wheel option and keep the Aksium front.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

Nice wheels the Elites - personally I find the mid-range front wheels much of a muchness and would go for a new Elite rear wheel option and keep the Aksium front.
Thats a really good idea, as I would guess the biggest improvent could be made with the drive wheel.

Will give it some more thought

Top Bottom