Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 13-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 17+

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Its just a patchwork of patches

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headcoat

Über Member
I got yet another puncture on my commute today, and fixed it back in the office, turned out there were 3 seperate punctures, I fixed them all, but got to thinking when is it time to get replace the tube?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I usually replace after a puncture, but have been known to patch a tube now and again.

xroads

Just counted 7 patches on my last repair. I only chuck if its unrepairable (eg wide cut). Only takes 5-10 minutes at my desk, so seems a waste not to.

nickb

Guru
I'll always repair when I can. Usually have to chuck them when the valve is knackered.

What patches are people using? I've been using Tip Top feather-edged patches which seldom fail to stick like limpets. However, it's a bit of a choker to only be able to buy in packs of six plus the long useless one that I have a large collection of now. Even the 25mm patches are too big for my road tubes, and I have to wrap them around, which sometimes fails to take.

e-rider

crappy member
I replace road (700x23) tubes every time I get a puncture

BUT

I'm happy to patch MTB tubes - it's not so much about how many patches they have but how long they've been on there. I'd say that up to 7 or 8 patches is fine and for about 2-3 years; after that it's time for a new tube.

Hence why I always seem to be buying road tubes (buy conti's in bulk for about £2 a pop), whereas a 5 pack of MTB tubes lasts me about 7 years!

I use Park Tools super patches (aka Specialized flat boys) - surely the only ones worth using?

Just unrolled the current (700x23) spare tube its got 4 patches (two of them were one visit, or a snakebite) I think the current tubes have only got one or two patches touchwood. IIRC the wide tyred hybrid (700x37) only has one patch as touch wood its only had 1 p'ture in 7563 miles. I tend not to bother counting though whe a tube can't be repaired its time to be replaced.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've had patches fail any time from 30 seconds after re inflating the tyre to 30 months after the repair. So I replace the tube every time I get a puncture. I only carry a repair kit for the time I run out of new tubes and have to get home. That'll be when my last tube goes down and Seal n 'flate fails to get the tyre up.

I know people who boast about the number of patches their tubes have. One of the biggest boasters also recounts, seemingly without a mental connection, how after a fast descent three patches let go, due to the heating of the rim. Not for me!

zacklaws

Guru
I keep repairing them until I get a hole too big to repair. As for patches, I get the repair kits from Wilko's, about 79p and find that they are good quality.

jimboalee

I keep repairing them until I get a hole too big to repair. As for patches, I get the repair kits from Wilko's, about 79p and find that they are good quality.

Wilko's PRKs aren't bad.

Every time I find a £1 coin, it goes in the 'Repair patch' fund.

In the last 18 years, I've not had to buy a PRK with my own money. :biggrin:

When there is a puncture right next to an existing patch, the patch comes off and I use the long rectangular patch to cover the old and new holes.

The valve stem comes adrift before I chuck a tube for being over-patched.

Top Bottom