Where have I gone wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thefensman

thefensman

Just had a look at my bike and even if I fit chain with 110 links as suggested by youngoldbloke it appears that my derailleur my still be under a lot of tension ie pulling forwards and up towards cassette. How is chain length calculated?

RebornBumbler

I wouldn't worry overly about the derailleur being rotated anticlockwise-of-vertical on the big/big combination (which you shouldn't generally use in any case), as long as it's not fouling-up in small/small (ditto regarding use) - it's a compromise.
Another two links will probably be too many, and the small/small combo will eat itself.
If you want much better handling of wide ranges, look into MTB mechs and longer rear cages.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I said 'MAY be enough'. You need to put in your details into the *calculator - chain stay lenghths etc. Check out other ways of setting chain length before splitting it - you can always take another link out if needed. (*It's always worked for me)

02GF74

Über Member
you shouldn't be using biggest chainring and cassette largest sprocket, just like you should be using smallest chainring and smallest sprocket ....

check chain length - put it over the largest chainring and largest sprocket (even though you should never use that combo as mentioned^^^) then add 2 links.

longer cage may be needed asyou have reduced the front chainring to take up th salck but I doubt you will find that is the case.

Cubist

Still wavin'
If you have fitted a larger cassette, you need to change the B Screw tension, otherwise the top jockey will foul on the cassette teeth when you shift to largest cog.

This isn't enough
104.jpg

Wind the screw in to give more clearance: You'll see the cage drop down away from the cassette as you do so.
011-1.jpg

It needs to look like this for a smooth change. Note the clearance after the B screw has been wound in.
106.jpg

With a thousand miles on it the chains well on its.way to the bin anyway.
Guess you don't look after your kit then, I want 3-5000 miles out of mine.
I think with the 11-32 you need a long cage
You don't get long cage road RD's GS or SS certainly on the Tiagra, unless I have missed something.
@thefensman it also depends on the modal of the RD i.e 4X00. my 5701 RD did a 52x32 combo I never rode it other than to test it worked.

Top Bottom