Where to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EWR93

I'm 16 years old and I've started to get interested in cycling and I really would like a road bike and to possibly join a club. However, I don't know where to start when looking for a bike, do I get a second hand one or a nice new shiny one?

Thank you in advance.

Noodley

Hi EWR93 (it makes me feel really really old to think people born in 1993 are 16! :becool:)

It depends on what kind of money you have to spend. There is no need to spend huge amounts of money, but to get a good 2nd hand deal you might have to ask locally as there does not seem to be too many bargains to be had on the web (ebay, etc) unless you have a great deal of time and knowledge to spot the 'real' bargains.

Let us know what kind of budget and we can maybe give some advice. But do not listen to the people telling you to spend loads on a first bike :becool:

OP
OP
E

EWR93

I live in Nottinghamshire and have a budget of around £250, thanks for your replies.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Hmmm.. For that price point, you are maybe looking second hand. Best bet might be to find the club first, outline the issue, and ask their advice. Someone may have a spare that they'd be prepared to sell.

Most club riders I know (erm, all, I think) have at least two bikes, and at least one wife who'd be glad if they got rid of at least one of them. :ohmy:

If you do buy second hand, you can find the depreciation doesn't really exist anymore, so its a bit easier to pass it on without loss if you don't actually enjoy riding as much as you thought you would.

Top Bottom