Where to this summer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Andy in Sig said:
I have the luxury of being able to go out of my door, pedal 50 yards and I'm on the Danube bike path. So I might slip down to Vienna (never been there before) once I've decided when I'm having my hols.

Be aware that the Danube bike path gets very very busy in summer, if you are not taking a tent, make sure you book accommodation well in advance.

Oop sorry Andy did read you post carefully, didn't mean to try and teach you to suck eggs.:eek: Of course you know about the Danube bike.

For a quieter alternative try the Inn cycle path. From Innsbruck to the Danube is gently down hill and the mountain scenery is spectacular.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks for the tip but what with living 50 yards from said path, I'm well aware of the nature of the summer season. Summer Sundays are the worst when groups of up to 50 grannies decide to go for a ride together. It's a wonderful combination of no road sense, friendly smiles as you more or less go zinging into the bushes to avoid them and blue rinses.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm not going away this summer :eek: but am planning to do an Exodus cycling holiday to India in November. Anyone got any experience of cycling in India? I'm a bit tempted to organise it myself but wonder if India might be out of my organising capabilities. Any thoughts???

No experience of cycling in India but been to India and all I'll say is make sure you're not alone if you want a reasonable time of it.

Best place for touring advice on more unusual destinations is the lonely planet website. There's some great advice on there...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Andy in Sig said:
Thanks for the tip but what with living 50 yards from said path, I'm well aware of the nature of the summer season. Summer Sundays are the worst when groups of up to 50 grannies decide to go for a ride together. It's a wonderful combination of no road sense, friendly smiles as you more or less go zinging into the bushes to avoid them and blue rinses.

Oops should have read your post more carefully before posting :eek:

snorri

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
A week's tour of Sutherland - Althandu - Kylescu It will be awesome, but having to drive all the bikes up there because of the lack of train space for them all...

Perhaps you could write to Scotrail advising them of the inadequacy of their cycle capacity? Every letter helps. :eek: scotrailcustomer.relations@firstgroup.com

I was on a full train last week. There were only two passengers, but as they both had bikes the train was actually running to capacity, crazy.

Hope you have a good time in Sutherland. :blush:

That's a good suggestion, thanks. It seems that every time I take a trip by bike and train I write a letter of complaint! There are 5 of us on this trip, only 4 bike spaces on the scotrail train outbound, and 2 inbound (also no choice of trains), making it impossible. Currently trying to work out whether 5 people will go comfortably in a passat estate...fitting the bikes in isn't a problem, ironically!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You can often get away with having an extra bike on Scotrail I have never know anyone be turfed off, but there is no guarantee that you won’t get some jobs worth of guard who says “rules is rules”. Good luck.

pw2389

Kirstie said:
...been to India and all I'll say is make sure you're not alone if you want a reasonable time of it.

What's the disappointment with travelling on your own in India?

pw2389;33837][quote name= said:
...been to India and all I'll say is make sure you're not alone if you want a reasonable time of it.

What's the disappointment with travelling on your own in India?[/QUOTE]

I take it you're not female? I was constantly stared at and hassled by people. I didn't feel safe anywhere. Going anywhere alone was a complete ordeal. This is in spite of the fact that I was covered up from head to foot, not wearing anything even vaguely revealing, made my wedding ring (which is really modest) very obvious. I absolutely hated it and I will never go there again. I've travelled to other developing countries on my own without any problems, but this was something else.

Top Bottom