Where to tour in Europe this summer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Re Option two - beware MIDGES! I have toured and wild camped in scotland in August and it was an utterly miserable experience because of the midges. I would go at any other time than midge season (May - Sept).

aedw

Hey,

I thought I'd give my 2 cents regarding Turkey seeing as nobody else has commented on that option, and whilst there would be amazing views and it's economical, it depends a lot exactly where you go in Turkey too which could cause difficulties...in the west there are thousands of brits and the area's overrun with tourism, which could be good but perhaps less "authentic" (depends on your outlook), but in the east (particularly in south east by Van) the area is particularly dangerous and I believe that Brits are advised to avoid travel in those areas unless essential (due to problems with the Kurds etc)...the roads in the majority of the country are also very bad and you have the problem of wild dogs too..and not being able to communicate...depends on how much of an adventure you want!

I'm going to do the French idea this summer so if you take that route then maybe see u on the road! :smile:

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Thanks for all the advice again :-). It's all been added to the memory bank. I think more research on my part is particularly needed, currently looking into Romania. And of course, CrazyGuy is always useful.

Domestique

Über Member
Thanks for all the advice again :-). It's all been added to the memory bank. I think more research on my part is particularly needed, currently looking into Romania. And of course, CrazyGuy is always useful.

If you are considering Denmark via Harwich this thread might be worth a read before you plan too far.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

We had a plan for a three week Denmark/Germany tour this year, but thats on hold till a later date now.

MarkF

Guru
I am with Kirstie regarding Scotland, once tried never again, my summer trip was also ruined by the midges, it was a debilitating experience. :sad:

I like your other choices you can't go wrong with either. You could get a flight to Malaga, tour south and get the regular ferries to Tangiers or Melilla. Tbh at your age I'd probably want be in Spain for the summer. :tongue:

andym

Über Member
You could get a flight to Malaga, tour south and get the regular ferries to Tangiers or Melilla. Tbh at your age I'd probably want be in Spain for the summer. :tongue:

It depends a lot on when and where you go. I'd highly recommend Andalusia (especially the western and northern parts) in April or May or October, but I really wouldn't go to southern Spain in July or August (and June and September will also be very hot). Northern Spain would be a better bet for high Summer.

(The heat would also be an issue to take into account when considering whether to go to Turkey). Consult the Foreign Office website for information on travel warnings.

Top Bottom