Where to tour NEXT WEEK!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Things are quiet at work. I am looking at a week off (most likely fly out Monday back on Friday) to somewhere warm. Ideally about 100km a day so a trip of 3-400km and ideally a point to point tour.

Southern Spain, Portugal, possibly France would all be possible. Ideally flights from Southampton, Bournemouth but also Gatwick and Bristol

Thinking hats on!

How about Ryanair from Bristol to/from Montpellier from/to Girona making a half loop and combining coastal and mountains?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
How about a Sleazyjet from Bristol to Bordeaux, cycle the canals to Sete on the Med then Montpelier back to Gatwick, about 250 miles all in.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I haven't checked out flights, but how about Cyprus? It'll be sunny and warm, but not too hot, and the flights should be cheap by this time of year. You might be able to fly to Paphos and back from Larnaca. Take in the north coast and the Trudos in between and you've got an excellent mini-tour.

Cypriots like to tool around in pick-up trucks, so if you break down, you and your bike can easily hitch a lift. Oranges and bananas are cheap and tasty. You can camp almost anywhere. Lovely greek food.

We went a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Thanks. I had almost settled for Bournemouth to Malaga and Faro to Southampton when that idea of Cyprus popped up.... just doing some digging now....

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
... and what is more spooky that I did not spot Phil's link. But I did search CGOAB and found the same journal!! You seem to be the only person who has been there!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'd reccommend it, even for a short break. If flying out and back to the same airports is cheaper and easier, you could just go to Paphos as we did, and make a circular tour from there - there are enough sights, pleasant beaches and tavernas to keep you going.

We intended to head up into the mountains to the north coast, then anticlockwise around to Polis and back to Paphos (you'll have to read the crazyguy page to find out why we didn't). With fat tyres and/or an expedition bike, you could go through the Akamas peninsula on the dirt roads there on your way back to Paphos. We didn't feel our bikes (or fillings) were up to it, so we stayed on the tarmac.

Oh, and make sure of when the clocks change!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Cheers Phil , I had already read your tale in full! Sounds like an ordeal with the chainset.

I decided to avoid the extra hassle of Gatwick (I live in Winchester) so all is now booked

Bournemouth to Malaga arriving Monday lunchtime

Faro to Southampton Sat 1900

so 5.5 days of cycling with only aorund 400k as a direct route. I will probably do about 600...

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Darn, I was late with this thread but was going to suggest southern spain so looks like great minds thought alike. HOW exciting, love a last minute tour. Have a fab time!

ASC1951

Guru
jay clock said:
Bournemouth to Malaga arriving Monday lunchtime

Faro to Southampton Sat 1900
Good choice, although if you are going along the coast you may have to do a bit of ducking and diving to avoid the 4 lane dual carriageway along at least the first 75 miles of it. A couple of years ago I was staying outside Malaga and had a ride to Ronda and back, which gave me four hours each way of heavy traffic to Marbella; the only alternative was to go along the sea road through all the towns, which was even busier even if the traffic was slower. You can go inland, of course, but along that part of the coast you have to be inland of the first line of mountains.

It all gets more civilised in Portugal. On a different holiday I rode from Faro to the little castle where you fall into the Atlantic at Cap St Vincent and although it was still a four lane road, there was far less traffic and with the terrain being flatter there was a much better network of roads inland.

Presumably you are going north west from Malaga and then west through the mountains to rejoin the coast somewhere just east of the border? Will you be posting some details when you get back?

Another Spanish point-to-point to consider is Tenerife - Gran Canaria - Fuerteventura - Lanzarote. Each of the islands is quite different and the circuit of Gran Canaria (particularly the north coast) is one of the best rides I've ever done anywhere.

Top Bottom