which bike for £600?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wardos

Hi,

I'm looking to get back into biking. I'm probably going to be doing a mix of commuting & leisure riding, but all on road.

Budget is about £600 - £700. I have picked out so far:

Specialized Secteur
Specialized Allez 24
Felt Z100
Cube Aerial
Scott Speedster S50

Any opinions (especially if you have owned one) would be much appreciated. Also are there others I should consider e.g. Giant, Claud Butler?

Thanks
P.S. I will be getting a new bike rather than 2nd hand as my employer does a cycle scheme through salary sacrifice.

OP
OP
W

Wardos

anyone?

OP
OP
W

Wardos

Thanks,

It's reassuring that none of them are "lemons". I'm leaning towards the Felt from reviews I've read. Seems to be an easier bike for someone like me trying to get back into cycling, but I'd never heard of them before.

As you say, I'll get myself down to the local shop & try acouple of them.

Norm

I've got the Secteur Sport, and love it.

The thing I'd suggest you watch for is clearance if you want to fit guards to keep the water off you. Many road bikes don't have room for proper mudguards and, although race blades will fit and, IMO, work very well without making the bike look like a shopper or a tourer, you'll probably be limited to 23mm tyres if you want to fit them.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
What you should be looking for are

a) Carbon forks - cro-mo forks will make your ride a misery.

b) A decent entry level groupset - either Shimano Sora or preferably Tiagra. Take a look at the "brake levers" and front/rear mechs to establish which set it is.

MisterE

If you are getting the bike through a Cycle Scheme and it is being run by and outside company you might find your choice limited. You could also find some of the bike shops do not accept some vouchers.
The advice from the "Tax man" has recently changed to do with the final value. Basically the price has gone up form 5% to 25% to purchase the bike after one year.

Due to experience I would recommend mudguards as you do not really want to be getting to work soaked. I also do not like using rucksacks so use a rack and panniers.

As has been said in this range there is not much to choose between them. I would want Tiagra shifters and mechs with maybe an own brand groupset.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165710

link is for the medium , more sizes obviously

• Frame Material: Aluminium
  • Frame Size: 19-20
  • Gears: 16-20
  • Approximate Weight (KG): 8.85
  • Chainset: Truvativ Elita compact
  • Exact Frame Size: 53cm
  • Forks: Lightweight carbon fibre fork with alloy steerer
  • Frame Colour: Black
  • Frame-: Lightweight double butted
  • Front Brake: Tektro R720
  • Front Mech: Shimano Tiagra
  • Gear Shifters: Shimano Tiagra 9 speed
  • Handle Bars: Ritchey OS 31.8mm
  • Headset: Semi integrated cartridge headset
  • Hubs: Sealed bearings
  • Pedals: Alloy platform, toe clips & straps
  • Quick Release Wheels: Yes
  • Rear Brake: Tektro R720
  • Rear Mech: Shimano 105
  • Rims: Ritchey Pro 20H front, 24H rear
  • Saddle: Cboardman, Cro-Mo rails
  • Seatpost: Ritchey 27.2mm
  • Stem: Ritchey OS 31.8mm
  • Tyre size: 23c
  • Tyres: Continental Ultra Sport
  • Wheel size: 700c
Tiagra shifters+ 105 rear mech vs sora for the rest?, carbon fork .If you can get past the "Halfords " bit they are very highly regarded on here..

41799524.jpg

OP
OP
W

Wardos

Thanks for all the input. My work's scheme actually doesn't include halfords. I think they wanted to support the smaller shops? All the brands I listed are included.

I think I might also look at the Felt Z95. It is very flat here (Chichester) and I don't think I'll use the lower gears much. Plus the Z95 has Tiagra derailleur on rear (Sora on front).

The Tax man changing to 25% final purchase is a pain, but I'm paying 40% tax, so monthly payments will work out to be about 50% of retail price, plus the final 25% means still worth doing it that way I think.

Cheers, will let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom