Which Bike for 9 Y.O? Max Price 230 Quid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Happiness Stan

So that's no Islabike unfortunately.

I guess he would like a mtb style bike rather than road.

Suggestions welcome.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What about a Ridgeback MX24 if you can't stretch to the Islabike? (She says as the happy owner of the Beinn 24 - which is lovely).

You don't say what size they are ... where you looking at 24" bikes or are they very tall?

funkingbaxter

If you're talking 24" wheel - and unless your 9-yr-old is exceptionally tall or short I think you should be - then I don't think you can beat the Giant MTX.

My kids have had a Giant MTX and a Dawes Bandit between them. They're both pretty good, but the Giant just shades it for me in terms of build quality and components.

I guess it would come down to your kid's preference, but you'd get change from £200 for either of them.

If you're buying now, then you might find some 2009 models still in stock, before the 2010 models (and their inevitable price increases) hit the shops...

Trek MT60 is what my son had. Very adjustable and tough. Sitting in the garage now waiting for some tlc and me to decide what to do with it as he's outgrown it. Not for sale though, it's had too much of a hammering.

jay clock

Massive member
If money is really tight, look for second hand and save a lot. If you cannot find the extra £19.99 for the Beinn 24, could you not give up smoking/boozing or whatever you can think of and then you will be able to afford it.

I can understand you not wanting to be talked in to an overspend of £100s of pounds, but £19.99???

As a serious cyclist I am overjoyed at seeing the fun and pleasure my two get on their Islabikes, when their friends give up on the first hill with their cast iron Asda bikes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
jay clock said:
If money is really tight, look for second hand and save a lot. If you cannot find the extra £19.99 for the Beinn 24,

Depends on the sizing ... Islabikes comes out differently that the standard offerings, so age 9 he may actually be closer to the Beinn 26. My 8 yo just fitted onto the Beinn 24 this summer and he's only average or even smallish for his age. In fact that was one of the advantages of going for Islabike was that he was able to move a wheel size sooner and so be able to keep up with the rest of the family better.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
We bought the eldest a Coyote bike last year (mojo i think).

Cracking bike for the price (£120 ish). Alloy framed, reasonably light, decent basic gearset.
Seeing as it's not going to be treated magnificently (and given she seems to grow about an inch a week) it seemed foolish to spend oodles of cash on her first "proper" bike.

RRCC

Guru
summerdays said:
Depends on the sizing ... Islabikes comes out differently that the standard offerings, so age 9 he may actually be closer to the Beinn 26. My 8 yo just fitted onto the Beinn 24 this summer and he's only average or even smallish for his age. In fact that was one of the advantages of going for Islabike was that he was able to move a wheel size sooner and so be able to keep up with the rest of the family better.

Mini fitted a Beinn 26 small before she was 8, but she is tall and long legged, micro (2 years youger) could ride it but not touch the ground.
Islabikes do offer reconditioned bikes try asking.

Top Bottom