Which bike for cyclist with bad knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shamrock123

Hi I'm looking into taking up cycling again after many years; I have knee pain, osteoarthritis in knees and torn meniscus. Would anyone please be able to advise me on what type of bike to get, I'm thinking of getting a track bike. Many thanks in advance.

vickster

Legendary Member
One that’s the right size, set up correctly and with the correct gearing. Aren’t track bikes single/fixed gearing? If so, I’d say something with derailleurs so you can get the correct range of gears for the terrain you’ll be riding.

Then it comes down to whether you want drop/flat bars and your budget.

See a physio too and get an exercise plan to complement the cycling, swimming also great non weight bearing exercise, you might find crawl kick is better tolerated than frog kick. Does the meniscus tear impact your range of motion due to bits impinging the joint, if so are you waiting for surgery to unblock the knee?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doesn't matter what bike you get at the end of the day. It's one that you find comfortable to ride and is good on your knees.
Though I wouldn't have though a track bike would be the best choice for the reason's pointed out by Vickster above.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What do you mean by track bike ? - We'd think you mean a fixed gear bike, or you may mean something like a hybrid or mountain bike that you can ride 'tracks' and trails on ? Main thing is plenty of gears if you have knee problems and spin, rather than grind a big gear.

Big John

Guru
I work for a bike charity as a volunteer and over the years we've had a few folks come in with bikes to donate (some almost new!) when they realised that cycling wasn't all they expected it to be. If it's possible to loan a bike from a friend or even hire one for a few days at least you'll get a feel for whether it's going to suit you or not. Only you know how bad the pain is and how severe your arthritis is. What Fossyant said about spinning is sound advice. I've got arthritis in my right knee and had it now for about 17 years or so and although it has slowly got worse I'm still riding my bike pretty much as I was 17 years ago and spinning has helped. Definitely I'd 'try before I buy' but you will need gears.

DogmaStu

An electric bike is a good shout.

I had a long break from cycling due to damaged knees from racing in my younger days. I took it up again in 2019 but bought an eMTB specifically because my knees are suspect.

I rekindled my joy for cycling and was doing 30 miles per day, terrain no issue. I also did gym with specific leg exercises for my knees. After a few months, I bought a normal MTB and that seemed fine, my knees were ok-ish having been strengthened.

I then bought a road bike and longer rides caused my knees to flare up again. I went to a Physio and worked with him for a short time and also changed my pedals to Speedplay because they allow far more adjustment than SPD's. They adjust at the cleat, not the pedal. In addition, I bought some orthopaedic insoles for my shoes.

Altogether, I can do 200km+ rides now without fear of knee pain. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just had arthroscopy for torn meniscus , cycling is a lot more fun now .

Kevberlin

I ride regularly having a full knee replacement and crucial ligament repairs on my other knee.
Bike riding is good for arthritic knees.
Bike fit is the critical feature. If you don’t know how to do it, then pay for it to be done by a professional.
Good luck and enjoy your bike, whatever you choose to buy.

Top Bottom