Which bike from these would you recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a new Decathlon in Wandsworth, there's one on the Purley Way in Croydon and there's one in Reading (and one near Canary Wharf if you work in town etc)

Go sit on them and decide, or just go for the one you prefer the colour/look of.

They are both quite heavy, the suspension on the 340 might add comfort on rough surfaces, but if it goes wrong it's expensive to fix (bearing in mind it's entry level and won't be the best made)

OP
OP
M

Meable

There's a new Decathlon in Wandsworth, there's one on the Purley Way in Croydon and there's one in Reading (and one near Canary Wharf if you work in town etc)

The problem lies with bringing the bike back home but visiting a store in London isn't hard. I'll order online for free delivery after I visit the store.

From the two you mentioned which should I go for - any idea?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-340-mountain-bike-grey-blue-id_8321326.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-300-ladies-mountain-bike-id_8284494.html

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem lies with bringing the bike back home but visiting a store in London isn't hard. I'll order online for free delivery after I visit the store.

From the two you mentioned which should I go for - any idea?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-340-mountain-bike-grey-blue-id_8321326.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-300-ladies-mountain-bike-id_8284494.html
You can ride it home...take it on a train...Wandsworth store close to clapham junction...or order online but then you'll have to do basic set up out of the box

I've edited above, bearing in mind I've not ridden either! I'd go for the one with rigid forks as I don't like the bounce of suspension on roads...actually no I wouldn't - I'd have to go for the men's version as the women's all too small for me looking at their size guide!

Except I wouldn't because I abhor black bikes :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

Meable

Go sit on them and decide, or just go for the one you prefer the colour/look of.

They are both quite heavy, the suspension on the 340 might add comfort on rough surfaces, but if it goes wrong it's expensive to fix (bearing in mind it's entry level and won't be the best made)

Ok Thanks!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Surrey quays to Hammersmith (or west London) is a pretty good ride. South bank, Hyde park, Kensington.

Take it easy and it'll take you around an hour. If you are out B Heathrow. Then a train would be better I suspect.

OP
OP
M

Meable

Surrey quays to Hammersmith (or west London) is a pretty good ride. South bank, Hyde park, Kensington.

Take it easy and it'll take you around an hour. If you are out B Heathrow. Then a train would be better I suspect.

I just realised TFL have a journey planner which tells you which trains allow bikes. That was my concern but now its not a problem.

Edited again above...stop answering so quickly :biggrin:

lol. ok i'm going to go to the store and see what's best for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
I just realised TFL have a journey planner which tells you which trains allow bikes. That was my concern but now its not a problem.
Overground generally not an issue, as long as outside weekday rush hour. You can also use the district line outside the rush hour if you are Wimbledon or Richmond way for example. Bear in mind those bikes are around 15kg which is a reasonable weight to lug up and down station steps!

OP
OP
M

Meable

Overground generally not an issue, as long as outside weekday rush hour. You can also use the district line outside the rush hour if you are Wimbledon or Richmond way for example. Bear in mind those bikes are around 15kg which is a reasonable weight to lug up and down station steps!

Right, stairs! Another thing to take into account. I'll just make sure I have another person with me

vickster

Legendary Member
Right, stairs! Another thing to take into account. I'll just make sure I have another person with me
Well you shouldn't need them, it's actually quite awkward carrying a bike a deux, the rear end is potentially mucky for starters. Just don't do your weekly shop on the way back! Lots of stations have lifts too :smile:

Or just ride it home :smile:

OP
OP
M

Meable

Well you shouldn't need them, it's actually quite awkward carrying a bike a deux, the rear end is potentially mucky for starters. Just don't do your weekly shop on the way back! Lots of stations have lifts too :smile:

Or just ride it home :smile:

Haha ok. Thanks. I'll manage one way or another for sure.

Top Bottom