Which Bike - Help Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TaylorCM

Regular
Hi,

I am looking to buy a road bike for commuting into work in Central London. I've cycled at home previously but new to commuting aspect of it so looking for the best bike for around £500, let me know if that's completely impossible!

The journey can be 10-15k depending on the route and is relatively flat. When I get to work there are bike racks so I don't need a folding bike however I do have to carry it up a set of stairs at home so would preferably get quite a light one. I live on the Thames path so would also be looking to be able to cycle down there at weekends so probably need something with slightly thicker tyres that your average road bike (from the online reading i've been doing!) Also looking at sloped handlebars. No idea about the brakes/gears scenario.

I've been looking at the Giant City Escape and the Boardman Hybrid but am baffled by the amount of choice out there.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thank you
smile.gif

Taylor

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Get your self down to your local bike shop and try a few then try a few more.

As for which one a cyclo cross or adventure bike might be more suitable , have a look at the Marin range .

OP
OP
T

TaylorCM

Regular
Yeah I'm planning on going for a test drive, thinking Evans in Wimbledon should have a good range and I'll look at the Pinnacle you linked whilst I'm there

It would be from Kew to Putney which is quite gravelling, especially after Barnes. Not sure if this would have an impact on getting a hybrid?

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Wimbledon Evans good but don't go at the weekend as they are typically busy and short staffed

Get a bike with fatter tyres, a rigid hybrid if wanting flat bars or a CX style if wanting drop handlebars (although you'll struggle for £500 new)

Also go to Cyclerepublic in Twickenham, Halfords, but a wide range and test rides (10% off if you join British cycling, you'll save the membership cost in the discount and you get 3rd party and legal cover which I wouldn't forego if commuting into London) .

Look at Giant while in Twickenham

Also take a look at single single speed bike, something like a Charge plug, flat journey, don't need gears, easier to maintain

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/charge-plug-1-2016-Q3110165.html?colour=139

And leave £75 for proper 'London appropriate' locks even if at workplace!

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're going to use it on a soft deep loose surface like gravel or sand you need to go for something around 40c for tyres. Much narrower tyres used at high pressures will dig in and make progress difficult. Many off road surfaces down here are like that. I have some 45c section at the moment and they're just about perfect but you must use them at a lower than recommended pressures. Slower on the road though.
You can always swap them out but will cost you obviously.
Make sure it can take a rack. I'd also go for discs for better stopping in all weathers. It'd be mechanical at that price point but that's no disadvantage.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
This is billed as a commuter, flat bars, 40c tyres. Quality bike from a major producer. You even get hydraulic brakes. Reduced from £800.
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-contro-4-2016-hybrid-bike
Dead link

Is it this pig ugly thing? With the stupid single fork
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-contro-4-2016-hybrid-bike-EV297611

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not the prettiest bike but someone likes it:
strange looking brilliant bike !
rating.gif

5 / 5
30 April 2017
bought this bike on offer from Evans Gateshead ,great service from the guys there ,they even shortened brake lines for me there and then ! great stuff ! the bike's look divides opinions but i love it ,the lefty fork is great, solid and precise steering and it does look the biz ,if i had a pound for every daft comment i'd be rich ! i've changed the saddle to my fave brooks cambiam the bike is now super comfy to ride ,this also helped by the surprisingly good little big ben tyres ,i've also put on carbon bars ,nowt wrong with the supplied bars though ,the brakes are excellent ,disc's front and rear ,gearing is also good for one chainring up front ,i've got up every hill on my commute no problem ,another surprise the bike is good for light offroading ,at this price you get a very capable ,pretty light all round bike ,highly recommended !

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'll bang on about the German make 'Cube' again. Very good value with high specs. I think they are trying to break into the market or something by selling very good bikes at a reasonable price. Even better if you can get last year's bike. Normally it's only the graphics that change.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The thing that bugs me about most Cube bikes is the poor unfinished frame welds. It might not bother some but when compared to the smoothed welds on say Boardman bikes they look crude.
Finishing cost money so his allows them to put more into the components which is why they look like good value.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll bang on about the German make 'Cube' again. Very good value with high specs. I think they are trying to break into the market or something by selling very good bikes at a reasonable price. Even better if you can get last year's bike. Normally it's only the graphics that change.
They don't appear to have a sub £500 rigid fork flat bar in their 2017 line up

I'd get me one of these, no need for 20 gears for the Thames path or a SW London commute

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=20754&Item='Whyte Whitechapel 2016 Hybrid/Commuter Bike'

Or this looks a super deal, carbon fork, 32c tyre
https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=18599&Item='Marin Fairfax SC4 2016 Hybrid/Commuter Bike - Grey'

Last edited:
Top Bottom