Which bike? Is it good for a beginner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brianbaranco2

A938F7B0-5A70-471E-BD7A-C24A5E6B1A58.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: to the site.

I'd say yes, that bike looks a pretty good bet for a beginner. Assuming it's in decent condition and that it's the right size of course.

Edit to add that I see there is a flat spot on the rear tyre so I'm guessing that it has been stored for some time. Might possibly want new ones if they are very old and perished.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A flat bar Bianchi is unusual in the UK, but that's another (minor) reason to buy it.

There's not much room to lower the saddle any further, which will be fine if it's already set to your height.

Any lower and you would also have very little standover clearance.

Looks like it has sensible, wide range gearing, and the sweep to the bars will be comfortable for an upright position.

A rigid fork is better than a suspension one on a budget bike, and there's a lot to be said for rim brakes over cheap discs.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above unusual to see a flat bar Bianchi but perhaps the OP is not in the UK?
It's an aluminium frame with a steel fork so should be reasonably light.
It's a very small frame size so would only suit someone of smaller stature. How tall are you?
A few years old so check the usual things. Are the wheels running true? Tyres worn or casings cracked? Spokes tight? Any movement in the cranks? Do the gears select crisply? Any sharp or hooked teeth on the chainrings? Hold the front brake on and push the bars to and fro, if there's a clunk could be the head bearings are worn.
None of the foregoing are deal breakers but should be factored into the negotiations for price.
Welcome to the forum :smile:.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's only Bianchi roadie bikes that are routinely imported into the UK, but they are another company, like Cube, who make pretty much every style of bike.

There's even a wide range of Bianchi ebikes, including a brute of a full-sus eMTB.

Purists will be turning in their graves, or at least dead ones will be.

https://www.bianchi.com/

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If it's from the 90s it might even be an Italian made Bianchi.

I'm guessing much of their range will now be made elsewhere.

Gunk

Guru
This ^^^^

froze

Über Member
I would rather buy a excellent condition used mid level bike for the same price or less than a used low end bike. The components on a mid level bike will be far better as will the frame be, and if you decide to no longer ride a bike you won't take a huge hit in depreciation when you go to sell it like you will with a new lowend bike.

Top Bottom