Which Bike should I take ?

Which bike should I take on Sunday?

• The light compact (but no guards)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • The regular double (with full guards)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm doing the Scottish Borders Sportif on Sunday, with 3000m of climbing but the weather looks sh1te.
Which bike do people think is best in the conditions the carbon compact (50/36, 12-25) but no mud guards or the Kinesis double (52/38, 12-25) which has full mud guards?

wyno70

Mud guards................ aren't they for tourers?????

With that amount of climbing I'd go for the compact. Might regret it if you don't towards the end of the day!!!

simon_brooke

HLaB said:
I'm doing the Scottish Borders Sportif on Sunday, with 3000m of climbing but the weather looks sh1te.
Which bike do people think is best in the conditions the carbon compact (50/36, 12-25) but no mud guards or the Kinesis double (52/38, 12-25) which has full mud guards?

If I were going (which I'm not, because I'm still recovering from flu and it would be tough for me even if fit) I'd be taking a light carbon bike with 53/39 and a 13-29 cassette. Close ratio cassettes are fine on the flat, not so good on the hills. And I'd take raceblades.

There are a lot of flooded roads in Galloway this morning, I imagine the Borders will be similar. Sealskins socks or waterproof overshoes might not be a bad idea.

Noodley

Carbon compact.

It's only a bit of muddy wet spray in the face for those behind you....and a wet arse/back for you. And if they don't like it they should go past and take the lead ;)

It was wet when I did the Blackpool sportive and I had mudguards on (too lazy to take them off). I was the only rider with mudguards on (one other had race blades).

Do mudguards really slow you up a lot? Or, as I suspect is everyone at the mercy of cycling fashion?

I hope it went well today HLaB? I look forward to the report.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I ended up taking the carbon compact for a very wet ride. When I got home the car boot was full of water then I took the seat post out and another pint (probably an under estimate) poured out :ohmy:

The ride was very well organised and the hosts were very nice, its just a pity about the weather.

Top Bottom