Which Carrera for an heavy rider with a baby seat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there,

As mentionned in my introduction, I used to ride a riverside 100 from Decathlon thinking it will be be enough for comutting in Lyon (14 km return) shopping around and go to my archery club (30km per week I think) and ride with the family on greenways , but I'm around 100kg and the max weight allowance on this bikes 100kg bike included.

Plus I'll have to take my daughter at the back, I decided to have a look at Halfords and found the Carrera Crossfire 2 and the Vengeance

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...fire-2-mens-hybrid-bike-black-17-19-21-frames

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...e-mens-mountain-bike-black-16-18-20-22-frames

which are cheaper look better than what I can get in France at Intersport (Nakamura fit 200) and Decathlon.

I've been told in Halfords the max weight is 118kg bike excluded its sounds ok as I definitely want to loose weight.
They don't look after roads that much where I live and they are little bit cracked.
I'd love to read your advices on which carrera would suits me the most.

Cheers

Levo-Lon

Guru
Good decent bike for the money.

Just a bit of trivia.
On-one the planetX MTB side say there carbon 456 frame is a 100 kg.
Sons friend built one up and he's 26 stone..no probs so far.

They have to cover themselves so the 100kg is a safe max load.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above, I'm sure you'll be fine but if it does crack and fail replacement used frames are as cheap as chips.
My preferred solution would be to buy a nineties rigid steel framed MTB second hand (ask @SkipdiverJohn), it'll be tough as old boots and lighter than the halfords stuff and loads cheaper. No probs with frame failure too

OP
OP
Z

ZeCycliste

Thanks for your advices

I'm 1.70m, I don't think I'll need front suspension as I don't think I'll ride on moutains and forest paths that much.

Cheers @Cycleops, for the advice, I know I'll better off with a old school frame and a pimped bike but as manual as as penguin (this joke works in french)

The Subways are good but if you do get one mail-order it may be wise to get a good local bike shop to pdi/build it for a small fee as Halfords bikes can be a bit iffy with builds.

Another option would be something like a Ridgeback which has a lifetime frame warranty if you are concerned about frame strength(willl cost more than the Carreras though)..

Top Bottom