Which chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcb2080

Hi there, looking for advice for a new chain.

I have a ridgeback nemesis which has a shimano alfine hub which uses a single speed chain.

I need a new chain for my bike and was looking at a chain with a powerlink to make it easy for taking the chain off to be cleaned and then put back on.

I spoke to the LBS and the guy says that I will need a narrow single speed chain.

My problem is how can I tell what is a narrow speed chain, I am new to cycling and i thought a chain was a chain:blush:

I liked the look of this-SRAM PC1N Chain Nickel Single Speed

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=

-but cannot tell if this is narrow or to big for my bike.

Incidently the LBS doesn't want to sell me a chain with a powerlink as he says that there is no need to take the chain off for cleaning it, and he just wants to replace the shimano chain on it.

Help

Please:biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well I'm baffled...

I thought narrow chains were only specified for derailleur gears, because you can get more freewheel sprocket in same space if chain is narrower, and hence more gears without too much dish in the wheel (too much dish makes a wheel fragile)

Yours is a hub gear system (I think?) so I cannot understand the point of a specifying a "narrow" chain because you do not have to worry about clearance between the sprockets.

But then I know nothing about single speeds & fixies so I've probably got the wrong end of the stick.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Thanks for the reply porkypete, yes I have a hub gear system.

I phoned two LBS today, the shop that I bought the bike from told me that I needed an eight speed chain:ohmy:

It was the second shop that said single speed (correctly) but said that I need a narrower chain.

I am going to take it to the second shop tomorrow and let him have a look at it.

Cheers

Panter

Just call me Chris...
joebe said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that Sram powerlinks are not designed to be uncoupled once in place (as opposed to KMC powerlinks that are).

Then again I could be talking out of my proverbial.

Thats only for the 10sp chain according to CRC. I had to chck as I have these and wanted to be sure I could remove and re-fit if nescessary ;)

Copied from CRC:

"It can be opened and closed as may times as you want without using any tools.

IMPORTANT: 10SP Links are POWERLOCK, they fit together but then are not designed to come apart again"

Top Bottom