Which Cleaning and Lubricating Products?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TC99

Regular
A word of warning, which should be mentioned in the instructions but often isn't. Don't put your hands/fingers/other body parts into the cleaner fluid whilst it is turned on. Ultrasonic baths operate at frequencies between 20 & 40KHz and that just happens to include frequencies that can (i.e. it's not impossible) cause cavitation in the blood stream with catastrophic consequences - such as death. No matter how slim the chances of this happening might be they are still there.

I spent some time selling ultrasonic welders and cleaners to businesses and we always had a large warning sticker on the bath and inside the cover of the manual. When we gave training it was mentioned to trainees several times over.

Thanks. Risk mitigation is important to me so thanks for the heads up. I really don't like working with volatile solvent degreasers and think that the citrus stuff is ineffective. I have planned the restoration of three cycles soon and this cleaner will be great for removing accumulated crud.

Jameshow

Veteran
I use a 4 litre milk container with a hole stabbed in the lid with hot water and fairy liquid. Then wd40 to repel and water. Lube with light oil the next ride.

I'm not a commuter so I guess that might alter things

rydabent

Veteran
As far as greasing bearings, the headset and bottom bracket should be lubed with a heavy duty short fiber grease, since they take the biggest loads. Wheel bearings can be lubed with a lighter weigh grease.

Top Bottom