Which event to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This coming Sunday I have a choice of 2 events I could do. One is the Ken Laidlaw sportive down in the borders or a 200km audax organised by a local bike club. I already have an entry confirmed for the sportive or I could enter the audax on the day. However what is playing on my mind is the thought of a 75 mile drive to and from Hawick for the sportive. Should I man up and just do the drive or should I support the local club audax?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Well I wouldnt do a sportive if you paid me and Im a audaxer so ................

:smile:

Seamab

Have you done the Ken Laidlaw before? It's probably the best organised sportive i've ever done and the route is challenging. The drive down is a pain i'll admit but it sounds like you've already paid for it in advance. Personally, i'd keep an eye out for the weather forecast as the first year i entered it never stopped raining and was miserable going. Second time, it was sunny all the way. Great event.

Have you done the Ken Laidlaw before? It's probably the best organised sportive i've ever done and the route is challenging. The drive down is a pain i'll admit but it sounds like you've already paid for it in advance. Personally, i'd keep an eye out for the weather forecast as the first year i entered it never stopped raining and was miserable going. Second time, it was sunny all the way. Great event.

I've not done it before but I've heard good things about. I had entered it a couple of years ago but an injury prevented me doing it. I've never cycled in that area either

Seamab

It's a few years now since i did it last. IIRC they started doing the route in the alternate direction each year. I really enjoyed the start where they set everyone of en mass through the town. There's a lot of beautiful scenery (if you can see it!) and numerous tough climbs which sap the legs. Excellent feed stations and good facilities at the rugby club for a shower and food post ride. Defo worth doing IMO.
The worst bit was the drive down the A7 which is slow (A68 then A7 is faster if longer) but you might be better going down the motorway toward Carlisle.

Top Bottom