Which Headset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I'm finally going to start building up my Specialized Enduro frame.

Headset prices seem to range from £9.99 - £200.00!

Any reason I can't use a cheapy?
The bike won't actually be used very often, only on holidays and the odd trip out, I just want something more capable on proper mountain trails than my lightweight XC bike.
It doesn't have to be light, just strong.

Any advice appreciated.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I use Hope ones on both my mtbs, strong, look good, last well in the lovely Scottish weather, and replacing the bearings is very easy. Around about £55.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Chris King everytime. the only headset you will ever need. truly fit and forget.
can be had from aspirevelotech cheaper than UK shops, or you might find a bargain on STW

Radius

SHREDDER
Kings are generally very well regarded, but they're so bling. And expensive. Most people don't have issues with cheaper headsets, and as you say if you're not going to be punishing the bike very much...

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks guys, I don't mind (too much) paying out for a decent one but a cheap one would be better if possible as the bike will literally only do a few hundred miles a Year.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Crane Creek ones are okay for limited use, I put one on my better half's bike, seems okay so far, about a year old now.

Jonathan M

Radius said:
Kings are generally very well regarded, but they're so bling. And expensive. Most people don't have issues with cheaper headsets, and as you say if you're not going to be punishing the bike very much...

Bling only in as much as they say Chris King around the top cap. Expensive, yes.

Back to OP - cheap headsets can be a pain, they may use plastic in some parts, or have ball bearing races that need careful setting up. There is a risk of the cups pitting when ball bearings are used, meaning premature wear & replacemnt of the headset.

I've always prefferred to use a headset with cartridge bearings, like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28120 . Not used the M-parts one, but used ones from Cane Creek & WTB in the past. Current bike (Cove) has a Chris King -but that is more reflecting the quality & cost of the frame - nice frame, nice headset.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks guys, the Hops and cK's are just too expensive though. I have to build most of the bike yet as I only have the frame, forks and half a set of wheels and can't spend too much on it.
If I got a CK headset, it would cost almost as much as the frame did!

I was thinking of going for the Crane Creek S3 as a compromise, any thoughts?

GilesM

Legendary Member
I would say the S3 would be fine, you can replace the bearings if you have to, and you can always upgrade in a couple years if needed.

Top Bottom