Which is safer in the dark....unlit canal towpath or busy trunk road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I presume you mean the section between the A57M, or near MOSI, and MUFC? It isn't the most pleasant of roads, but the road would be preferable. There are a couple of junctions to be wary of, but I am guessing you are aware of these already.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
It's from altrincham to media city so canal up to trafford park and then an easy route down Europa Way or A56 up to United's ground and then sir Matt Busby way down to tra0fford wharf.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As recommended upthread, I'd stick to the roads to/from Trafford Park, particularly in the dark evenings. From memory of working on the edge of media city and walking through for home matches, there are some poorly lit places.
At least you will not currently have to contend with the log jams caused by home matches.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Canal is quite fun in the dark. You'd be more at risk riding down the fallowfield loop at night from muggings.

Mix it up a bit, or look for a quieter road route. The A56 isnt great. You've got the road that runs parallel past the cricket ground.

I have faced this exact question on an overnight ride from Crewe to Lancashire north of Manchester.

I'd definitely take the A56 from Altrincham - which of course parallels the Bridgewater.

By the time I hit that point it was early in the morning but still very quiet - I felt perfectly safe - the fact that the road is used by a fair few buses helps - the only slight irritation is the number of traffic lights though it was still significantly faster than the canal would have been.

I like the Bridgewater - has a decent surface and straight - but I am wary of all canals at night because of neer-do-wells, though I tend to think they are riskier from that point of view late at night rather than early in the morning when they are all tucked up/zonked out in bed.

More chance of a puncture maybe on a canal as well and you do feel very prone fixing a puncture in a deserted area.

Always a chance of a dip as well - I once on a group ride skidded (stray bit of cobble maybe) and ended up about two thirds over the canal with the bike between my legs a la end of the Italian job - head end on the bank - still not sure how I recovered that.

I wouldn't really ride any of Londons canals at night.

I did in one of my night rides that way to Lancashire go onto the Roe Green Loop line heading for Bolton in the middle of the night - deserted of course - came to no harm but not sure I'd do that again. And bits of it are glass littered.

Last edited:

G3CWI

Veteran
I tried commuting in the dark along our canal towpath. I caught something with my front wheel that nearly had me off and into the water. I reverted to using the road. Different towpaths could be more (or less) hazardous.

Top Bottom