Which lightweight helmet-mounted light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I recently switched to Dynamo lights for my commute. I have the excellent Phillips Saferide on my rear rack but I'm less than impressed with the B&M Luxos U on the front. It's always there and great for being seen. It has a wide spread of light, but doesn't give enough to see potholes and other obstructions in front of me. Certainly not a confidence-giving light.

I back it up with my Moon XP500, which gives me a perfect combination. I can mount it on the bars but I like it better on the helmet so I can direct it where I need it. My 16 mile commute route is about 40% streetlit roads, 30% trail (no lights) and 30% unlit roads. I tend to have it on HIGH on the trail, LOW on the roads to avoid blinding drivers.

All in all this is a nice combination, albeit I feel the Luxos U is not worth the money and will probably chuck it on the bay soon. I like the Moon on the helmet but the mount has to sit right at the front (maybe I need to change helmet :thumbsup:). It's not exactly heavy (about 145g) but it's enough to feel uncomfortable. I'm also planning to do more winter riding and some overnight rides. I'd hate to carry that weight at the front overnight.

Is there a good front spot, nice and light, probably with a separate battery pack I can put in my jersey pocket ? I've seen a few by googling but they seem crazy money. What do others use for this ?

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Oh - I also have a Fluxient 3XU2 with the 8800mAh 7.4V battery pack. I never use it on the road as it would just blind other road users, I only use it for MTB. OK I've used it once. Be great if I could reuse that battery pack with a lightweight helmet-mounted spot to give all-night lighting.

heliphil

Guru
ok I'm a cheapskate , but last winter I used a $10 torch from china with a 18650 rechargeable battery - I did not even have to use it on high power most of the time. As for fixing it on to my lid, I just used elastic bands and a small wedge of foam to keep it at the correct angle.

StuUngar

Doesn't strapping a big light onto a helmet kind of defeat the purpose of wearing it in the 1st place? You land on a light on your helmet isn't it just going to cut through the helmet & embed itself in your skull?

Top Bottom