Which long distance bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
I've got a Triban 520. Any reason to think this won't make the journey? Any advice for making the bike as trouble free as possible?
I have the triban 520 and have done a few multi day tours on it. It'll handle the journey well - I've not had any mechanical or comfort issues with mine, except for the crap stock wheels which I replaced. I've also carried luggage weighing 30kg.

Tips:
If you can afford it, replace the stock wheels
If you've had it a while, replace chain and cassette
Ensure brakes properly set up be decent mechanic - took me a while to realise decathlon had set up wrong, majorly improved power and reliability of braking
Double tape the bars
Get 32 width tyres with good puncture resistance
Get the lifeline small frame bag and Topeak large fuel tank (enables easy access to snacks and commonly used items)
Take small bottle of chain lube with you
Make sure your saddle's comfy

tinywheels

Über Member
I used a yak trailer back in the day,when I owned a real bike. found it a top notch bit of kit. so much easier than having all your gear hanging off the bike.

32mm tyres are about optimum for light-med touring with rough trail sections. Personally I think Marathon Plus are overkill for touring and the reduced efficiency not worth the extra protection. I have toured on std Marathon. Mudguards reduce clearance by about 5mm but keep you clean and dry.

mustang1

Guru
I've never been touring but here are some things I know (not actually about touring, but riding in general):
Probably better to get bike services 2 or 3 weeks in advance. I know my LBS has long lead times right now and in case any parts are required, that may need more time to arrive. Then once service is done, there might be something that needs additional tuning or settling-in period.

You probably know about bikes and things possibly going wrong, then just dealing with it. I'm not sure how experienced your daughter in riding, but it might be worth mentioning that things don't always go to plan and things on the bike can get funky, noises or something can sometimes get de-moralising.

Edit: oh yeah, like others said, being comfortable and familiar on your bike goes a long way. Your daughter might want to get the bike kind of soon so she can make adjustments to ride position and get accustomed to it and also get be comfortable with the riding-kit you guys will wear.

Top Bottom