Which Mavic Wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnny5

I've had my Giant Defy 4 for over a month now and I'm planning to upgrade the standard 700x25 wheels to some Mavics with Mitchlin Pro 700x23.

I was originally looking to go for some Mavic Aksiums (£129 for a pair) but my mate said that I would be better off going for the next ones up, the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe for about £100ish more. Is it worth me paying the extra money for them?

Also, if I bought some Mavics, could I just put my current 8 speed Shimano Cassette straight onto the new back wheel? I've only ever seen Mavic to fit 9 or 10 speed cassettes...how am I suppose to fit the my 8 speed cassette on? Do I use some sort of spacer or will it just fit?

Thanks.

Go for the most you can afford, would be my advice.
My Askiums have got an 8sp cassette fitted, if memory serves me right the cassette fits OK and no spacer was needed.

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

I'm not planning to do any racing yet but just want to upgrade to some nice fast wheels for some sportive and just some general fast riding out and about, as well as the occasional commute to work.

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

I've also been told to buy this special Cassette nut and this cassette tool with like a chain on it that holds the cassette when using this nut to removevthe cassette off my existing wheel. What's the best place to get theses? Wiggle/ Chain Reaction etc?

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

I've been looking and weighing up my Mavic wheel options:

Mavic Askium 2009 (1855g per pair) = £129
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe 2009 (1770g per pair) = £265
Fulcrum 5 (about 1755g per pair) = £180

Think the Askiums are best for value and not that much more heavier.

Cranks

Thats an old price for Aksiums - they have gone up considerably unless someone has a pair they bought last year lying around.

Have you considered handbuilt wheels? With your budjet why not talk to a wheel builder and get wheels custom made to your specifications?

I use RoadAce, however, there are plenty around.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Once you want to spend 200 quid on wheels you should always consider handbuilts.

Paul Hewitt will do you Open Pros (on whatever hub you need) for that sort of money that will be a 'better wheel' (whatever criteria you want to use) than the Mavics until you really start forking out for the high end stuff.

Dave5N

Über Member
Tim's right. A pair of Open Pros on decent hubs with good spokes may cost a bit more, but will last longer and be more servicable.

Most importantly, they will ride better.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
For what the OPs doing then I think Aksiums would be fine. The Ksyrium are dead good wheels but there are several models under that banner (I think 3 now) and they all have their benefits - price isnt one of them.

Hand builts (something I now use - with open pros, dt swissssspokes ;) and Hope Pro 3 hubs) are dead good and a lot of fun to ride on, but I dont think you need them yet.

Getting Kysriums or custom jobbies would be like a hobby racer splashing out on a full F1 racing car right from the off. :biggrin::biggrin:

Check out the Bontrager's too. Also the Novatech's as I think they've models in the same price bracket as the Aksium.

..oh and another thing on the Kysurimses.. my LBS once said its about £4 a spoke should you break one. :biggrin:

Joshgav

Have you had a look at Miche? I have a pair of the race wheels and they are quite nice, not light so they aren't great at accelerating but at speed they are nice and stable and never want to stop rolling.

Noodley

Johnny5 said:
I've had my Giant Defy 4 for over a month now and I'm planning to upgrade the standard 700x25 wheels to some Mavics with Mitchlin Pro 700x23.

My advice: change the tyres to 23s and see how you get on first before going and spending lots of money on lighter wheels. From what you say you've had the bike for one month - if the bike was good enough for you a month ago it'll be good enough for you now. I am constantly amazed at how many people feel they 'need' to 'upgrade' within a short space of time. Spending 200 quid on wheels for a bike which is less than 500 quid retail? Why not just spend 700 quid on the bike to begin with?

Sorry if this seems harsh as it is intended in good spirit. You do not need to upgrade.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Noodley said:
My advice: change the tyres to 23s and see how you get on first before going and spending lots of money on lighter wheels. From what you say you've had the bike for one month - if the bike was good enough for you a month ago it'll be good enough for you now. I am constantly amazed at how many people feel they 'need' to 'upgrade' within a short space of time. Spending 200 quid on wheels for a bike which is less than 500 quid retail? Why not just spend 700 quid on the bike to begin with?

Sorry if this seems harsh as it is intended in good spirit. You do not need to upgrade.

Actually.. theres a point. Werent the Defy wheels made in the mavic factory for a while?

Having said that I'm bad enough myself and I've been riding bikes a long time, lol. Just spent 700 on a bike late last year then 300 for wheels last week. :biggrin:

You're right about tyres though, I changed over to 23mm racelites about a month before I switched to the aksium on the old bike.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Dave5N said:
Tim's right. A pair of Open Pros on decent hubs with good spokes may cost a bit more, but will last longer and be more servicable.

Most importantly, they will ride better.

+ 1 for Open Pro handbuilts. If you're prepared to do it yourself (it really isn't that hard) and shop around for the components you may even end up cheaper than the Aksiums.

Top Bottom