Which program for which media?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Hi guys, i store my pictures on picassa, most of my tunes ofn i tunes, (although some i convert to mp3 for the kids m3 players).

So i seem to have i tunes, quicktime. Windows and real all trying to tell me that they should be the default for all of my media types. This occasionally seems to lead to conflict. ie when i try to attch a photo to an e mail i dont get to see the photos in thumbnails every photo just shows an icon.

Is there an accepted 'list' as to which applications yyoiu should use for which? Or is there one that will do it all?

I am not a techie, i dont want too fiddle too much i just want a quiet life and my computer not to bother me! Hope i have explained this clearly.

andy.

Carwash

Señor Member
Use whichever you prefer.

(Except RealPlayer. No-one uses RealPlayer. :biggrin:

Bman

Guru
I use MPC (Media Player Classic) You can get this do play almost any type of media (providing you have the codec/s)

But it is all down to preference.

Yeah, Realplayer sucks....

For Movies, mplayer for Linux and Mpc under windows....VLC if nothing else works for both.

For Audio I prefer Amarok for Linux and WinAmp or MediaMonkey under windows, but I think music player preference is most driven by the program that most suits your organisation and classification skills. Many prefer that massively bloated iTunes thing for example.

rh100

2Loose said:
For Movies, mplayer for Linux and Mpc under windows....VLC if nothing else works for both.

For Audio I prefer Amarok for Linux and WinAmp or MediaMonkey under windows, but I think music player preference is most driven by the program that most suits your organisation and classification skills. Many prefer that massively bloated iTunes thing for example.

I've gone back to using Windows Media Player. It rips to MP3 at a high bit rate (I don't use ogg or anything for compatibilities sake) and I agree about the organization thing - Media players not too bad for it. I did have something from Sony that came with the walkman, Sonic Stage I think - it was awful.

Top Bottom