which topeak beam bag for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsbaggins

Hi everyone I was wanting to put a beam bag on my xmas wish list but not sure which one is best for me. Went into local shop and told them i had a specilaized dolce 24 and they said to get a topeak beam rack Rx-v type but on looking seems this is more suited to a mountain bike. Can anyone clarify at all please?

potsy

Rambler
I have the RX one it's very good, goes well on a road bike IMO, can put a pic up tomorrow if you like :thumbsup:

Norm

I have the MTX rack, which I switch between my Tricross and my Secteur - which is the chap's version of the Dolce. It works wonderfully.

The thing to watch is which "type", the e-type rack is horizontal, the v-type comes down a bit from where it mounts to the seat post. For the MTX racks, they also do an "a-type, which arches upwards from the seat post mount.

OP
OP
mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins

thanks all. so potsy=which type is yours? V type? thanks Norm for the explanation i was a bit stuck on the diff versions. in your opinon would a v type be the one?

potsy

Rambler
thanks all. so potsy=which type is yours? V type? thanks Norm for the explanation i was a bit stuck on the diff versions. in your opinon would a v type be the one?
I have both types, just bought the 'v' type for my Tricross, I already had an 'e' type which was kindly donated by a fellow cc'er.
Just remember to get one with the side plates if you want to use the bags with the fold down paniers, this is what I have
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43853

Norm

...in your opinon would a v type be the one?
That depends on the frame size, the options are there to get the top of the rack close to the wheel to minimise the top-heaviness that a loaded rack could give. I have medium and large frames on the two bikes I use this with, and the V type suits perfectly.

potsy

Rambler
Tri with the new V type
new rack.JPG
commuterised.JPG

Top Bottom