Which waterproof jacket and trousers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sprocket Dog

Hi All,No doubt this has been done to death, but I hope you'll bear with me and help with some suggestions on good waterproof jackets and trousers.I cycle 30 miles a day three times a week (looking to increase that to five times a week).I aim to cycle all through the year and am not fussed about hi-vi because I'd rather have something that is durable and will last.I'd prefer to not have to spend loads of cash but I appreciate that cheap kit won't last long.Your thoughts and advices will be greatly appreciated.;)

Mr Pig

Sprocket Dog said:
am not fussed about hi-vis..

Be fussed. I'd rather be damp than squashed!

gavintc

Guru
IMO, waterproof trousers are a waste of effort. Your commute is long, but you are not going to freeze in a 15 mile journey and I would propose bib tights or bib longs dependent on temp and just accept that your bottom half will get wet. But, I would recommend some good overshoes as drying out cycling shoes can be a pain.

With regard to the top half, I have tried a variety of options from heavyweight commuting waterproof, a race cape to more recently a lightweight goretex jacket. I prefer the goretex as it breathes and you are not quite so clammy and wet from the sweat. Mine is a Montane one, but there are a variety of options.

It is worth commenting, that it will rain less than you think and that a very wet journey will be relatively rare. You might get sprayed regularly from the road, so the overshoes are useful but a complete soaking is not that often.

gavintc said:
It is worth commenting, that it will rain less than you think and that a very wet journey will be relatively rare. You might get sprayed regularly from the road, so the overshoes are useful but a complete soaking is not that often.
Just to add to that, being an IT geek-worker like what I am, I've been keeping a record of my commutes since mid-April this year. Out of 60-odd days when I've ridden in during that time, I've got wet twice: one being today. Admittedly I had another 3 days when I bottled it and didn't ride 'cos it was raining but would have got wet had I ridden in.

Also, there were a few other days when it rained and I might have got wet had I ridden in, but I was not able to ride in for other reasons. But only half a dozen of those.

I bought a Montane Fetherlite smock last winter and that seems to do the job for my 6-mile commute: it rained on me the whole way in today and I was pretty dry .. gloves and shorts were wet where it doesn't cover them, shoes wet from the spray off the road but all OK other than that. Think you can get them from £30 or so (??) .. they ARE hi-vis. Edit: packs up nice and small as well.

Iceniner

I brought a Altura Night Vision jacket from my LBS, they did it the same price as it was online so was more than happy to get it from them.

The coat is well done for just under £60. I know some people have complained about the zips but mines about 4months old and still working fine.

It has reflective pannels on it, but these arent garish (but they are very bright under headlights). As i do a lot of my riding at night Ive welcomed the additional reflectiveness and since its going to be getting dark earlier soon its a good bonus to have the relective parts.

The jacket is well vented with shoulder vents and armpit zips which help channel air inside the coat. I often wear this even riding on a hot day and i dont get too overheated. As for pockets there is a back pocket just above the lower back area and a chest pocket too - which is just the right size to put my archos helmet camera unit in and zip it up so its weather protected.

Its not too in your face to wear as a general jacket either so mine sees plenty of use. Overall a very good piece of kit and id buy it again.

Pompey Princess

Veteran
Just about to purchase one of these jackets from a LBS at a very good price AND surprised myself at the size that best fits me...those extra miles over the summer must be doing me some good!!!

Danny

Legendary Member
Don't want to undermine anyone's LBS, but I recently noticed that Bike Plus are selling Night Vision jackets for £45.00 + £3.50 postage. If you can find something else you want to buy you get free postage on orders over £50.

Flyingfox

Danny

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
IMO, waterproof trousers are a waste of effort. Your commute is long, but you are not going to freeze in a 15 mile journey and I would propose bib tights or bib longs dependent on temp and just accept that your bottom half will get wet. But, I would recommend some good overshoes as drying out cycling shoes can be a pain.
Not sure I agree with gavintc about over trousers. He is from north of the border where they relish having to cycle through adverse weather conditions for most of the year. While you may not literally freeze on a 15 mile journey you could get pretty miserable cycling through heavy rain in the winter months.

Companies such as Polaris and Altura produce breathable over-trousers tailored for cyclists. I've got a version of these Polaris over trousers which I got on sale and have been very happy with them.

mikeitup

Veteran
I have an Endura Gridlock Jacket which has been excellent. I had the gridlockovertrousers recently and through all the heavy rain they have been fine. Use with sealskinz socks and waterproof overshoes.

Noodley

Endura Superlite jacket and trousers are very good. Waterproof and fold small enough to fit in back jersey pocket.

Top Bottom