Which wheel on turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hudson1984

Über Member
So. I’ve finally managed to create space for a turbo setup.
For me, this is to build up after a hip replacement, I was intending to get a wheel off jobby but the wife has decided she also needs something to get fitter and we’ve just got her a bike, so we’re keen to be able to use the same setup and wheel off for the two bikes would be a pain in the rear.

So.

After recommendations for a good smart wheel on turbo. I’m thinking elite Novo but thought I’d check here for sanity

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tacx T2240 - cheapish and just works. Had mine 6 years.

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
Interestingly that’s what I had before. I found it a little harsh on the arse….but that might just be me.

That being said, it did work very well, and could always add a rocker plate

BurningLegs

Veteran
Tacx T2240 - cheapish and just works. Had mine 6 years.
I had one for a similar number of years. I outgrew it in the end but it’s a great bit of entry level kit.

Interestingly that’s what I had before. I found it a little harsh on the arse….but that might just be me.

That being said, it did work very well, and could always add a rocker plate
I don’t think any particular trainers are kinder on the bum than others, to be honest.

Tacx Flow.
Second recommendation in one thread says a lot!

I’d also add a third, but will just qualify it with a bit of a warning on accuracy and power limits for maximum resistance and simulated gradient. They’re lower than other trainers in the mid range of the market, but I suppose that’s unlikely to be a problem in the circumstances? I eventually outgrew mine in terms of power numbers and accuracy requirements for racing but you can’t really beat it for the money.

OP
OP
H

Hudson1984

Über Member
I had one for a similar number of years. I outgrew it in the end but it’s a great bit of entry level kit.

I don’t think any particular trainers are kinder on the bum than others, to be honest.

Second recommendation in one thread says a lot!

I’d also add a third, but will just qualify it with a bit of a warning on accuracy and power limits for maximum resistance and simulated gradient. They’re lower than other trainers in the mid range of the market, but I suppose that’s unlikely to be a problem in the circumstances? I eventually outgrew mine in terms of power numbers and accuracy requirements for racing but you can’t really beat it for the money.

yeah i'm not too worried about accuracy, it's more for indoor training that's a little engaging, which of course Zwift is. So it'll get me and wifey going.

My only real issue with it is calibrating between the two bikes. I remember it being a little fiddly and we'll be swapping bikes on it alot.

I am sorely tempted by the Wahoo Kickr Rollr, purely for the ease of swapping bikes.

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
I have an elite novo. No complaints

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My only real issue with it is calibrating between the two bikes. I remember it being a little fiddly and we'll be swapping bikes on it alot

I have a Tacx wheel on trainer. The Tacx app includes a calibration test once you’ve put your bike on it. You pedal up to 40 km/h then stop and it’ll tell you if the pressure between wheel and the roller is in right range. Then off you go. It’ll help if your wife’s bike and yours have same model of tyre and width on rear. Then hopefully you’ll do calibration test and it’ll say you’re good to go.

ExBrit

Über Member
I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap - although anything that supports my weight should not be called "Snap" :laugh:
I like it a lot and it's easy to move the bike on and off. I'm not saying it's better or worse than any other trainer, but I'm happy with it.

Top Bottom