Which wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
I wouldn't do a long tour on those wheels and tyres as I think the ride will be harsh. Tyres will make the biggest difference and are a lot cheaper to change. It would be more comfortable even with 25s. 28s or 32s will be better still.

If you have some nice handbuilt wheels (or want an excuse to build or buy some) then use them but if you don't, just change the tyres and use your wheels.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd say the opposite. Dump the panniers. If you can't strip your entire luggage down to four litres then you're not trying hard enough - there#s really no need for a ballgown or that extra copy of Benevolo's history of the Renaissance. Spare shorts, spare socks, puncture repair kit, lock, pump, a few inner tubes - that's about it. Ask yourself if you're going on a cycling holiday or a luggage holiday.

As for the wheels - dump 'em. Get some proper wheels. Ksyriums are for people who think Take That are fashionable. They're fat, spongy and chunky and have way too many spokes. At 1530g they're heavy.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you go to 28s rather than 32s, you can reallocate weight you save to couple of small square of toilet paper... just for emergencies mind.

FWIW I rode it on 25s.

delport

i used 700x35 tyres, i could have used narrower as i was on proper A roads nearly all the way.Cycle paths at times i find a pain as you can lose direction, or miss a sign fairly easily.

Regarding people saying dump the weight, it isn't them who wil spend 2 weeks in the saddle so do what you feel is best, i took 4 panniers which was overkill, and really slowed me down, for all future trips i'll be taking the trailer that i am building.

I was wild camping every night for a full 3 week period, so i felt i really did need to have loads of stuff with me, i travelled solo too, and the nights were cold, it was the end of October.
Things like food from the supermarket, and 2 litre bottles of water could fill a pannier by themselves, you should be able to avoid that part as you have a place to sleep each night under a roof, whereas i didn't.

Insect repellent should come in handy.

How are you travelling back?Train fares are very low if booked in advance, you can do 400 to 500 miles for under £15 with bike reservation.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm starting LEJoG next week and I've just swapped out my old 25C tyres for new 23Cs. I'm riding with rack and panniers. I'll let you know afterwards whether I'd have preferred to have put 32Cs on :smile:

Martin

Top Bottom