Whinlatter Pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Anyone have any info on the Whinlatter pass and if it is open at the moment , hoping to use it this coming week instead of the main road past the lake.

Polocini

Veteran
I wouldn't go anywhere near at this time of year. The weather can change pretty quickly also with the way the water runs off the side it will be dangerous.

Sorry to sound like a total killjoy.........!!

AL

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I drove out of West Cumbria yesterday (on the A66 not Whinlatter) and there was not a lot of snow around, even on the fell sides.

There was, however, ice floating on Bassenthwaite Lake so I would guess that there is a decent chance of ice on the fell as well. The Cold Fell road further over was shut.

Fiona N

Veteran
Good idea I think. The smaller roads although mainly free of snow are very icy where they're not gritted.

I found this out to my cost on Sunday between Crook and Underbarrow, NW of Kendal, where the climb up was OK, mainly under trees, but as soon as I turned the corner onto the steep descent towards the village, the back wheel started sliding. As braking was no longer an option due to my speed, I just held on and hoped (:whistle:) to get around the righthand corner at the bottom. I didn't, of course, and slid less than gracefully for about 40 feet along the road followed by my bike. Regaining my feet wasn't simple either as the road surface was just a sheet of ice even the car tyre tracks that I usually find are kept wet rather than icy due to passing traffic. No serious damage done due to robust jacket and winter longs but I do feel a bit stiff still around the right hip and shoulder.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Big lumps of ice still floating in grasmere today and lots of ice by the side of the main road too. Where theres been no sun on the (non gritted minor) roads its still sheet ice.

I managed to get the ABS on the slip road of the A590 to Milnthorpe on Saturday. No sign of ice, mustn't have been gritted too well. Glad I was in a car and not on 2 wheels tbh. Loads of cyclists out though.

I'd avoid any of the passes when its this cold. If you fall on the ice you are a long way from anywhere if you really hurt yourself.

Top Bottom