Whitby to Scarborough and train to York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tclay4

Hi.
We are relatively new to cycling but have thrown ourselves into it and are having a great time. We have set ourselves a target of cycling to Whitby from our house (Selby, about 60 miles away) and then staying over. We are not too confident about being able to cycle back the next day so we are trying to find a way of getting back in case we are too tired. It will be a sunday and I can't find a train or bus that leaves Whitby on Sundays in our direction so we thought about cycling to Scarborough and catching a train from there. Does anyone know what the Whitby to Scarborough road is like for bikes as we know the road from here to Whitby as we have driven it many times but never Whitby to Scarborough? Is it easy getting a bike on a train from Scarborought to York as we have never put a bike on any train? Do we have to book? Can you do this on-line? Might sound like simple questions for most of you but forgive us as we are novices!
Thanks

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Are you on road bikes or Mountain Bikes ?

It's about 20 miles over the moors, steady climb out of Whitby with 1 or 2 steep bits then slightly undulating until descent into Scarborough. Open and windswept can be a lot of fast moving traffic depending on time/ weather not to mention odd animal or three. Probably much the same as the route you are taking from Selby across the moor (Pickering- Whitby?) Can't help on train question, sorry.

I used to live in Scarborough. There is an old rail line between Scarborough and Whitby now used for walkers, cyclists and horse riders which is more than suitable for most touring bikes. I would not cycle the A171 if I could avoid it, as it encourages a certain type of driving style which, on a single carriageway, twisty, fast road does not mix well with cyclists!

As fo the trains. You can take bikes on most trains for free trains but usually only a maximum of two per train. You can also pre book when you get your ticket but this does not not guarantee you will actually be able to use the cycle storage if some one else has got there first (and not pre booked). I have never had any problem taking my bike on several trains now. There are trains between Scarborough and York about hourly. I doubt you would have any problems in this regard, particularly if you avoided the peak times.

Cheers

Bigsharn

Veteran
For buses, there's the 840 from Whitby, then the 415 back to Selby. The downside of this is that I have no idea if either accept bikes on board...

There are no trains direct from Scarborough or Whitby to Selby (You have to change twice on either route, and it's anything up to £36 each) but this looks like your best option. York-Selby is flat apart from one hill, and the cycle path's well maintained so this might be an option

Hope this helps

Paladin - York

Oh dear! - here's yet another option.

Whitby to Selby change at Middlesbrough, Darlington & York. Leave Whitby 0850 arrive Selby 1204. £19.50 one way.

You could of course bail out at York and, as has been suggested, cycle the track to Selby.

Cycles cannot be booked on every leg of the journey but book them where you can.

OR

Vegetarian or not have a full English and cycle back?

I used to live in Scarborough. There is an old rail line between Scarborough and Whitby now used for walkers, cyclists and horse riders which is more than suitable for most touring bikes.

Aye - and it's a lovely ride; a bit longer but basically fairly flat, unless you take shortcuts across the long bends :thumbsup: . It's years since I've done it, and my youngest would have been 8 maybe 9 when we did it?

It's the funny green dashes and dots on this map

Dunno - it is a long time ago, again, but I seem to remember transpennine being no problem for bikes but they do suggest making a reservation; in my experience Northern Rail have always been brilliant - dad turns up with three kids on bikes, so the conductors just make space for us :rolleyes: - so instead of Scarborough York Selby, try Scarborough-Hull-Selby?

edited - the 840 bus service doesn't carry bikes; at least it certainly didn't 5-5 years ago

OP
OP
T

tclay4

Just to add that we will be on road bikes not mountain bikes.
You can't get bikes on the buses according to the bus company.
I did look at the Middlesborough option but seems very long winded?
We don't mind doing the York - Selby stretch back is it is easy, all that worries us is that we know the ride TO Whitby will be tough and there is that huge hill going down into Whitby which must mean it will be hideous coming back out and might wipe us out with still 60 miles to go?
I like the sound of the track between Whitby and Scarborough but is it okay for road bikes?
Hull is the other option as it is direct back to Selby.
Thanks for all your suggestions
Any further comments most welcome

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
all that worries us is that we know the ride TO Whitby will be tough and there is that huge hill going down into Whitby which must mean it will be hideous coming back out and might wipe us out with still 60 miles to go?
I like the sound of the track between Whitby and Scarborough but is it okay for road bikes?
Hull is the other option as it is direct back to Selby.
Thanks for all your suggestions
Any further comments most welcome

There's nothing stopping you from pushing the bikes up the hill. It might take a litle longer but you will be fresh enough to take on the remaining distance.

The track between Whitby and Scarborough is a little rough in places but is fine for a road bike. Be prepared for its undulating profile. Normally railway track based routes are flat. The Whitby - Scarborough route is not flat.

twobiker

You are so lucky Whitby is a favourite destination of ours,the run from Pickering is lovely
thumbsup.png
Yorkshire is very pretty.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Coming down the huge hill into Whitby is the reward... for climbing the hill on the way back :smile: (If that means the push of shame then so be it :tongue:)

Top Bottom