White Industries Eccentric hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2old2care

Über Member
Have you had any problems when swapping from fixed to free with chain alignment, as I've found I have a problem with the difference in offset of the two cogs. Also what width chain do you use?

Sharky

Guru
No experience of eccentric hubs, but don't really understand what the problem is?
Re chains, I use either 1/8th or 3/32 depending on the sprockets which can be either. The 1/8th can be used for either.

OP
OP
2old2care

2old2care

Über Member
The problem is that I set up the chain alignment for say the fixed cog, then when I flip the wheel to the free cog, the alignment is out by 3 to 4 mm.
I've measured the offset of each cog from the centreline , and there is a difference of 3.5mm.
Why would they manufacture a flip/flop hub which needs the chain to be re-aligned every time you flipthe wheel over?

Recent reply from White Industries, " As far as the alignment issues, you are correct. The fixed side was designed around the standardized track offset of 43mm and the freewheel side around the 47.5mm chainline standard."

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Does 3mm variation cause a problem?
There are double fixed sprockets around and these must have about a 3mm variation, so must be within an acceptable tolerance.
For a time, ran a fixed with a double chainset, which gave me a low gear for pottering and a higher gear for TT's. Didnt notice any alignment problem.
Cheers keith

OP
OP
2old2care

2old2care

Über Member
It works, but the difference gives me a clicking noise unless I leave the chain quite slack, but if you hit a pothole the chain can jump off.
I was using a 3/32 width chain, so I'll try a 1/8th chain.
Did you use a chain tensioner with your double chain set?

Sharky

Guru
My frame had horizontal ends, so didn't need a tensioner.
You can just about see in the photo, the double chainset.
kw_2008_Hardriders.JPG

Don't think you need to switch to 1/8th chains if all the sprockets are 3/32, but if you have one, worth a try.
Good luck
Keith

Sharky

Guru
Cool bike Keith, looks fast. Thanks for the help.
It's a Mercian, bought second hand in 1968. Used to be reasonably fast, but for some reason wasn't going quite as fast in the photo (2008). Let it go to a club mate a couple of years ago, but was my favourite and did all my PB's on it.
Cheers and hope you sort your bike out.

Top Bottom