White Rose Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Anyone else do this, this morning?

I did the short route which should have been 48m, but i ended up doing just over 50 on the back of some poor signage just after Grassington. Me and a load of others missed the left turn and ended up going up to Threshfield and back to Linton via a detour.

Fair play to those who did the 130 and 180k routes, but i found even the 80k route a real challenge, but there again, it's the furthest i've ever cycled :sad:

Nice event, but the signage could do with improving, and the goody bag a few more things that adverts and some gel!

I might be back for the medium route next year.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Should have done the medium route..... but did your trick and miss-read the slighty below par signage.

Ended up "volunteering" for the 180K..... hell of a way to do your first century :sad:

bonj2

i was going to do it but DNSed. I'd signed up for the long route, but to get there for registration at half 6 I would have had to set off at quarter to 5, which means i would have had to get up at 4. no chance, seeing as i didn't get to bed till midnight due to a post-mtb meal last night.
Probably do the medium next year and stay in a B&B.

Did 62 miler in the peaks instead.

mintsauce

A friend and I came up from North Wales to help out at this event after the organisers had been let down at the last minute on various counts. Consequently, I'm in the fortunate position of seeing this event from within the crew itself and can confirm that it was a Herculean effort by all the organisers.

On Saturday we helped prep the food wagons followed by mountain biking at Stainburn forest & climbing at Rlystones ('Dental Slab' is wonderful). On the Sunday my friend and I ran the Hawes food station.

It was my first experience of a Sportive and I have to say the atmosphere amongst the riders and around the event as a whole was wonderful. So much so that I've been inspired to definitely ride this next year for sure (but not on my 6" travel MTB!). The only downer was the sabotage of the event signs but that was where the road markings really came into their own.

On the way back from Hawes to HQ we squeezed injured riders and broken bikes into a van that was already full. "I'm not leaving anyone" was Derek's comment each time we stopped and somehow managed to fit more riders in!

In summary - BRILLIANT!

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
mintsauce, well done to you and the other organisers. I know from my days as a running road race organiser it's sometimes a thankless task, and people only remember the glitches.

I really enjoyed the event had a nice chat with several other riders, and will definately be back next year.

goodspeed

Did the middle route, found it quite tough trying to set a decent pace and Langbar took the wind out of my sails at the last hurdle, i didn't expect it to be as tough as that!:ohmy:
Had a great day on a fabulous route, the scenery around Halton Gill was stunning.

I think small group starts might have been better or more specific starting times as i seem to spent alot of time riding on mi tod; after the turning at Kilnsey i thought i'd taken a wrong turn, I did'nt see anyone for about half an hour.

Met some freindly folk and finished with a fairly respectable time.
All in all a great event, Well done to everyone who finished.
On my calender for next year!:sad:

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
goodspeed said:
I think small group starts might have been better or more specific starting times as i seem to spent alot of time riding on mi tod; after the turning at Kilnsey i thought i'd taken a wrong turn, I did'nt see anyone for about half an hour.

I think that's a decent idea.

After the split in Grassington, i found myself riding solo for quite a bit of the return leg.

Mind you i wouldn't have wanted anyone with me going up Langbar, as i was using every inch of the road. Hardest climb i've ever ridden that.

PaulB

Legendary Member
There were times on the high fells though that lights would definitely have been an advantage. All the cars that passed us on the way up to Greenhow and in one or two other places as well had full headlights on due to the low cloud/thick mist which spoiled the sumptuous views god has blessed the area with as compensation for populating the county with Yorkshiremen. All in all, my favourite event of the year and well done to all involved yesterday.

goodspeed

Where did you spring from Paul? I did'nt know you were up for this. maybe next time we could arrange a meet time for cc riders.
Hope you had a good day, oh and hope you had a great time in Italy, lucky bugger!

bonj2

what were the descents like, steep enough to need to be on the brakes a lot or more gentle and fast? The dales grimpeur 140 was around that area and it was a bit of a waste I thought to have to go down 1 in 5 descents.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
There were only a couple of "hairy" descents, most were fast and tight, but still fun.

Only one that nearly caught me out was about 10-15 miles in, a very fast sweeping downhill in the fog that suddenly turned into a very tight left hander. Certainly made me clench (and not just the brakes).

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
There were severall enjoyable descents. The best section was after about 23 miles, mainly straight road with couple of sweeping bends, no sudden braking and easy speeds of 40+ mph. I averaged 32mph for the 25th mile i think.

There were a couple of tight descents which involved navigating some gravelly sections in the middle of the road one bit around Thruscross Reservoir and another bit on the Langbar descent. They were quite hairy.

Top Bottom