Why a Trike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham O

Having seen a number of trikes in recent weeks, I was wondering what their advantages are? I appreciate that they are stable and there's no need to put a foot down at lights, but they are presumably heavier and with more road contact, greater rolling resistance. Plus I remember seeing one as a lad tip over when going round a corner fast.

Please discuss and enlighten me.

dodgy

Standard upright trike or recumbent?

Maz

Guru
Some people feel unsafe on 2-wheels, are disabled etc, for whom a trike is ideal. They are also good for load carrying, including 2 young'uns in rear child seats etc.

I have an old Pashley Picador and it takes some getting used to ("unlearning"), having been on 2 wheels for so long.

You'd be surprised how a trike seems to have a mind of its own at first!

OP
OP
G

Graham O

Let me provide more information.

A standard tricycle bike, not a recumbent and as used by Audax riders. So no young'uns to carry, minimal luggage, not disabled and probably just as comfortable on 2 wheels as 3.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Some of the racing trikes are pretty light. For Audax I think one of the advantages is if you go to sleep on a trike, you're less likely to fall off!

My balance isn't as good as it used to be - I might consider a trike at some point in the future.

OP
OP
G

Graham O

Baggy said:
My balance isn't as good as it used to be - I might consider a trike at some point in the future.

Having had a spell of vertigo a few years ago and still able to feel the effects, I am at the same stage as you. IIRC, there used to be more trikes on the roads than there are now so I was just looking for more information.

LLB

Trike - all the disadvantages of a cycle in inclement weather, and all of the disadvantages of a car in traffic (can't filter) - (include motorcycle trikes in this as well)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
For Audax I think one of the advantages is if you go to sleep on a trike, you're less likely to fall off!
Umm . . . I thought about this when I saw them, (as well as the recumbent versions) on long Audax's. Is it not better to fall asleep and immediately fall off an regular bike, than fall asleep freewheeling a trike and wake up doing 40mph in the path of an on-coming truck? The sleep thing did worry me, especially those who are laying down on their bikes to start with.

On the final night of PBP I passed a bloke asleep beside the road. Being a little drowsy myself it took a moment to realise he was still astride his bike with both feet clipped in the pedals. Knowing from all the 'clipless moment' stories that it's pretty much impossible to stop and snuggle down comfortably without unclipping either foot, I went back to check on him. He was a Japanese guy who did not wake up 'happy', until he realised I wasn't trying to mug him. I did think what would have happened if he had nodded off on a recumbent trike instead, as we were on a long gentle down hill at the time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tim Bennet. said:
Is it not better to fall asleep and immediately fall off an regular bike, than fall asleep freewheeling a trike and wake up doing 40mph in the path of an on-coming truck? The sleep thing did worry me, especially those who are laying down on their bikes to start with.
With respect, I think that's the wrong question! Isn't the general idea to go to bed when you are that tired? Mind you, I'm one of those wimps who have had enough after about 14 hours on my bike... :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tim Bennet. said:
You might want to post that on the Audax UK website. You could be the voice of reason in their twisted parallel universe!
Actually I'm an AUK member myself, but I can't see myself ever getting into the ultra-distance stuff. I'd always prefer 'quality' over 'quantity' i.e. I'd rather improve my speed over 100 miles or so rather than really stretch out my endurance.

I've done a fairly hilly 200 into the Dales and back in about 10 hours but if I was fit enough to do one in 8 hours, I might be tempted to have a go at a 300. I'm not sure that I'd tackle a 400 no matter how fit I was... :biggrin:!

Surely the question ought to be 'Why not a trike?' I have one because I can no longer ride a DF, so I bought a recumbent. I am not too happy on that in traffic, or on hill starts, so I bought a trike. It is all I hoped for, although it is a less comfortable ride than my LWB 'bent with rear suspension. Trikes are great fun, in my opinion.

Top Bottom