Why bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
I cannot comment on the 20% poor eyesight figure but wonder if this figure includes cyclists. When it is raining or foggy I often take my glasses off and put them in my pocket. I can see well enough to ride safely but wouldn't be able to read a number plate as per the driving test. I can see better though than trying to see through misted up lenses or lenses running with water.

As far as I know it does not include cyclists because there is no law relating to eyesight for cyclists, I do not know if there any health restrictions on cyclists at all. Probably in theory a blind person could cycle although not advisable.

There was research performed by the DfT on driver's perception of cyclists.

Using images of cyclists which were children, women and other images they showed that if the drive deemed a cyclist as "competent" then they would be able to cope with close passes and there was no need to slow down or move out when passing them!

It's no win - proper lights and HiViz and the muppets will drive closer!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

Using images of cyclists which were children, women and other images they showed that if the drive deemed a cyclist as "competent" then they would be able to cope with close passes and there was no need to slow down or move out when passing them!

Or straight at you.

I had a driver do that yesterday.

Straight piece of road I am the only trafic going my way, and a minibus and 6 or so cars coming towards me Here - me heading NE the car SW. Volvo 'peeps' out from behind mini bus to (I presume) check the road is clear to overtake. I then (with hi-viz reflective jacket and two bright LED flashing front lights) move out to primary to make myself more visible and make me move laterally in their vision.

Does that make them abort the overtake?

Does it hell, I can only assume they thought, it's only a bike, it'll get out of my way.

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 1281819"]
A cyclist who rides without lights & therefore is far more aware of the traffic around them doesn't care what's going on around them.

A cyclist who has the lastest and greatest in retina searing light technology and therefore is less aware because in their mind they are thinking - how can anyone not see me? they realise that there are other road users that don't have a clue.

[/quote]

Fixed it for the real world! My experience is that the riders who don't have lights & seem to do their best to blend into the background are also the most irresponsible riders about with the least road sense of the lot.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Just before I read that post I found myself imagining 2 scenarios:

1) ''Ah, a cyclist in hi-viz, plenty of lights, cycling in a straight line, he looks like a sensible chap, I don't need to worry about him, I wonder what else there is to look out for...?''

2) ''Lordy, look at that cyclist with no lights weaving around in the gutter with a hood up and talking on his mobile phone - I better give him a wide margin, there's no knowing what he might do next...''

In the first, the cyclist takes responsibility and the driver doesn't, in the second, the cyclist doesn't but the driver does. I've no real idea if, or evidence that, such things happen in real life, but I fear there's more than a grain of truth to it.

Not an argument for going ninja, though. More an argument for getting drivers to take as much responsibility for cyclists' safety as a responsible cyclist does for himself.

GrasB

Veteran
Out of the 15 or so memorable problems with other riders I've had this year how many have been with riders without lights & wearing dark clothing? All of them. This is consistent every where I've driven & cycled even on the continent those without lights when it's dark don't give a damn!

FYI: A post 'fix' is also a comment on the post :rolleyes:

Quite a lot of quoting here but ..

Do either of you have pictures of your bikes with all lights illuminated?

Lights and clothing help reduce problems with motorist who have no intention of knocking you off but either are not paying enough attention to what they are doing, distracted by other things on the road or poor eyesight(apparently 20% of drivers who do not wear corrective glasses need to wear corrective glasses).

My tactic is "confusion", my rear flashers are a Dinotte 400R and two banks of 12v red strobe LED's(meant for emergency vehicles), located, at just below saddle height, either side of my pannier rack giving me a wide rear light profile. Plus on each front fork a 12v HID strobe light, white light forward and red to the rear. Makes me stand out in traffic and confuses drivers as to what I am.

Unfortunately there are some drivers who just do not care unless you have "Police" written across your jacket and blue lights.

Very similar to mine i run a 1/2 watt flasher on each pannier bag + a standard flasher on the back of the rack along with a rear facing helmet flasher and 2 arm bands with LED`s.
On the front i have a 3AAA torch and use the magicshine for about half my commute.

Add to that reflective stickers on my helmet , pannier rack , rear reflector and jacket with reflective stripe.

I generally get a lot of room given to me but a lot of it is down to road positioning, being aware of whats going on and always assuming that an overtake might be close and every car must get a sidewards glance /listening for engine sound to determine closeness etc.

At the end of the day if they are not looking or they are an idiot they will not be looking no matter how shiney you are , you can only minimize the chance that someone will not see you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have not got pictures of all my lights but took these today to show the reflective s on my bike...taken with a cheap digital that i forgot how to turn flash off......

Current commuter
carrera TDF 08, atm
i had 1 smart flasher and 2 standard smart flasher on the back but it will be 2 smart and 1 standard for the commute, reflective stickers plastered on rear gaurd,around rack light fitting and some on the rear reflector.

picture006lk.jpg

Stickers on the front fork

picture005pe.jpg

Stickers on the helmet

picture007g.jpg

picture008fn.jpg

Full bike piccie

picture001ej.jpg

I wear a altura windproof with reflective piping and some arm reflectives with LED`s as well

Hope that helps

As for the front i am sure that gaz has posted some shots of his front light on here before?

Top Bottom