Why do I have to remove my pedals on a plane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Is there some reason for this? I'd rather leave them on if I can so i dont need to carry a spanner...I only have spds...they dont stick out anyway

zimzum42

Legendary Member
They can't be very good pedals if they don't stick out......

Seems a bit of a no-brainer to me, I'd not consider not taking them off......
They are likely to puncture any protective packaging, and present something to be bashed about. Seems sensible to avoid this, and it's not like a pedal spanner takes up a huge amount of space......

jay clock

Massive member
They stick out and will damage other bags.

If you have an allen key socket on the pedal axle you can use that for removing them. Check they are loose enough before heading off though so they can be easily undone at the airport

yello

Because the airline (or baggage handlers?) say so??

I would guess it's to prevent damage to other bags, cargo etc. Damage that could result in claims against them.

Tony

Involved in a claim at Heathrow at the moment. Four bikes, clear plastic bags from the CTC. Thrown off aircraft onto baggage wagon. Then heavy luggage thrown on top of the bikes.
I'm happy to comply with their packing requirements. I just wish the handlers would return the favour.

wallabyhunter

I don't travel often with a bike, but when I do I always remove the pedals at a bike shop the day I'm travelling. To think that the average bike tool kit allen key will remove a pedal that has been fixed for 10,000 or even 1,000 klms is kidding yourself. It just won't happen, you'l round the socket, or at best destroy the tool. Either way don't risk it, if you don't carry a pedal spanner get the pedals "broken" at a bike shop just before you go.

gb

xilios

Veteran
wallabyhunter said:
To think that the average bike tool kit allen key will remove a pedal that has been fixed for 10,000 or even 1,000 klms is kidding yourself. It just won't happen, you'l round the socket, or at best destroy the tool. Either way don't risk it, if you don't carry a pedal spanner get the pedals "broken" at a bike shop just before you go.

gb

The thing to do is remove the pedals and apply some grease on the threads so it will be easyer to remove (and/or reinstall backwardsat the airport) after 10,000kms.

Top Bottom