Why i am not getting any faster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
14mph averge is fast.

is that journey average or moving average?

If its journey then well done I say. I cruise along at 22-23mph for most of my rides but my average always works out to around 15mph

OP
OP
Grayduff

Grayduff

Über Member
14mph averge is fast.

is that journey average or moving average?

If its journey then well done I say. I cruise along at 22-23mph for most of my rides but my average always works out to around 15mph
Journey average...:smile:

OP
OP
Grayduff

Grayduff

Über Member
Riding a hybrid your major barrier to increased speed is wind resistance, as an example:

The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples.

On a bike, once you're around 15mph, wind resistance becomes the major obstacle as so much more power is required from you for relatively small gains in average speed. So don't be disheartened, it takes a lot of ewffort now to start going faster and the easiest way is to become more aerodynamic! That's why racing cyclists wearslippy tight lycra, are hunhered down over the bars not sitting like a barn door to the wind and use narrow tyres which again offer much less wind resistance.
Don't beat youself up too much!

You can develop more power, the way to do this is ride intervals, short and hard periods followed by relaxation rather than just hammering the pedals at the same rate. The Swedes do 'Fartlek' training, where for example they will springt the next 1oo yards or half mile to the next junction/lampost/pub or other suitable land mark and then spin gently to another one and repeat. We do this when we ride as a group, faster and slower periods throughout the ride. Riding with others is also good for increasing speed too.

Keep it up, you'll get faster, but don't obsess about it!
Thanks for the reply, i have decided to show my wife all the replies in the hope that she will relent, give in and let me have a road bike..:thumbsup:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
In that case a roadbike will add one or two mph :whistle:

No really, it will.
totally.... its scientifically proven. Plus it reduces your risk of collision and falls... allegedly.

Same goes for new shoes, pedals, a garmin and those really nice merino wool jerseys...they are all really, really safe things to have.

OP
OP
Grayduff

Grayduff

Über Member
totally.... its scientifically proven. Plus it reduces your risk of collision and falls... allegedly.

Same goes for new shoes, pedals, a garmin and those really nice merino wool jerseys...they are all really, really safe things to have.
So the long and short of it i need to train harder and be more patient..:training:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So the long and short of it i need to train harder and be more patient..:training:
or just ride more.

which is good because that's what we all enjoy. But it cant hurt to buy some new stuff as well.

Boon 51

Veteran
Riding a hybrid your major barrier to increased speed is wind resistance, as an example:

The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples.

On a bike, once you're around 15mph, wind resistance becomes the major obstacle as so much more power is required from you for relatively small gains in average speed. So don't be disheartened, it takes a lot of ewffort now to start going faster and the easiest way is to become more aerodynamic! That's why racing cyclists wearslippy tight lycra, are hunhered down over the bars not sitting like a barn door to the wind and use narrow tyres which again offer much less wind resistance.
Don't beat youself up too much!

You can develop more power, the way to do this is ride intervals, short and hard periods followed by relaxation rather than just hammering the pedals at the same rate. The Swedes do 'Fartlek' training, where for example they will springt the next 1oo yards or half mile to the next junction/lampost/pub or other suitable land mark and then spin gently to another one and repeat. We do this when we ride as a group, faster and slower periods throughout the ride. Riding with others is also good for increasing speed too.

Keep it up, you'll get faster, but don't obsess about it!

Loads of good points here.. I've started doing what you have just posted, but I started a few weeks ago and its working for me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
or just ride more.

which is good because that's what we all enjoy. But it cant hurt to buy some new stuff as well.
Riding more helps, but riding with a club or doing intervals makes you faster quicker. 10 mile Time Trials are also good training. It doesn't matter what you ride, it's you and the clock and sustained max effort over a fairly short period of time. make sure you warm-up and warm-down after.

So i did a 30 miler today with an average speed of 14 mph and an average cadence of 85, 3 months in i am slightly concerned that i cant get any faster no mater how hard i push, is it the hills is it me or is it the hybrid i ride OR am i paying to much attention to Strava..any advice would be welcome..cheers ^_^
Try and factor in the same route to your training/cycling. This way you can gauge wether or not you are improving. Comparing other routes proves nothing. Today i rode 43 miles and climbed a total of 4000ft but i averaged 14.6 mph! A few days ago i rode a 20 miles flat circular and averaged 22mph. Can't compare those rides with average speed.
Conditions vary so you can take this in to account when comparing efforts. You would be looking for a gradual incline in stats/times on the same routes. This way you can track progress.
In fact you mentioned strava. Set up a few private segments and track your progress from there.
As one pro said "ride, eat, sleep and repeat".

VamP

Banned
Average speeds are not a good indicator of performance. Don't worry about them.

A good repeatable segment on Strava is much better, but I still wouldn't get hung up on the speed, without considering other factors.

The only way to improve is by riding beyond your current capability - not all the time, but regularly enough for adaptions to be taking place. Unless you are doing that, you will not improve. If all you do is the same type of riding - all you will have is the same level of fitness.

Top Bottom