Why is my front wheel wobbly and loose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tdowney2010

I've recently just been doing some maintenance on a trek 1000c road bike and after changing tires I realized that the front quick release wheel has some play to it. It's not actually coming from the quick release latch but instead it looks like the skewer (not sure if that's the right name but the shaft part of the the quick release that connects to the hub) Any help on how to fix or if I need to replace would be awesome!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is it loose and wobbly AFTER the quick release has been secured? If so, could be your axle cones are loose. The cones are one side of what the ball bearings run on in the axle, the race on the wheel hub being the other. If you are very lucky you might get away with tightening them up. If you have my luck, the cones and/or the races/bearings will all be pitted, rusted, and fit for the bin. Easiest option then is a new hub. First step would be to strip the axle and clean the various bits to check for wear. If they look ok, put it back together with fresh grease on the bearings. Sounds complicated but it's not. YouTube is your friend.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Is it loose and wobbly AFTER the quick release has been secured? If so, could be your axle cones are loose. The cones are one side of what the ball bearings run on in the axle, the race on the wheel hub being the other. If you are very lucky you might get away with tightening them up. If you have my luck, the cones and/or the races/bearings will all be pitted, rusted, and fit for the bin. Easiest option then is a new hub. First step would be to strip the axle and clean the various bits to check for wear. If they look ok, put it back together with fresh grease on the bearings. Sounds complicated but it's not. YouTube is your friend.

Thats my thought. Wheels bearings need a bit of adjustment.

Reactions: C R

boydj

Legendary Member
Is the q/r itself tight when the handle is closed? Make sure that you haven't unscrewed the non-q/r end of the quick release itself.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom