Why isn't *everyone* wearing helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I read in today's Guardian that a man is in critical condition after sledging into a tree at Alexandra Palace, while a Harlech fireman has died after falling over on an icy footpath and hitting his head. Given the current conditions, is there any excuse for the entire population of the country not to be wearing a helmet any time they're outdoors?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
For some reason, the Sledging Helmet Initiative Trust never got going.

BearPear

Veteran
I bought a sledge yesterday and my daughter and her friend were laughing their (multiple pairs of) socks off at the sticker which advised the wearing of helmets and protective clothing! Accidents happen, but a helmet on a sledge..?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Most serious serious injury I've ever had....fractured pelvis, 10 days in hospital & further bed rest thereafter...was from sledging into a tree.

30 years rock-climbing, + cycling, and I ski faster than most people half my age (when I have the chance)....but nothing ever required an overnight stay in hospital apart from that.

Helmet wouldn't have helped though:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
BigSteev said:
Yes, Helmets are gay.
I think the expression is "ghey", now get back onto Youtube:biggrin:

Crankarm

Guru
BearPear said:
I bought a sledge yesterday and my daughter and her friend were laughing their (multiple pairs of) socks off at the sticker which advised the wearing of helmets and protective clothing! Accidents happen, but a helmet on a sledge..?

Lots of snow, ice, hills, sledges, kids, snow balls, kids on bikes, adults, snow balls, dogs, i-pods, cars on wrong tyres, mobile phones, large hard immovable objects, smaller sharp objects and barbed wire fences.

Accidents who would have thunk it ..............:biggrin:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it was when we had the snow last year, a girl was killed up here in Yorkshire, sledging into a wire fence - possibly garrotted herself, I can't remember exactly.

lukesdad

threebikesmcginty said:
A collegue where I work said he saw someone 'sledging' using a canoe yesterday - he said the m.p.h. was frighteningly high!!

yes use my k1 and my surf ski less the fins they re brill kids love the surf ski.

Crankarm

Guru
Also frozen lakes........ Just heard that 2 middle aged brothers have died after the ice on which they were walking 20-30 meters out in a lake - broke, somewhere near or in Leicester. Apparently they were in the freezing water for 20 minutes, triggering a full scale rescue operation. They died in or on their way to hospital. A 3rd brother is in a critical condition. Being middle aged one would have thought they would have known not to go on the ice. Maybe they were trying to rescue some one or something. No indication that they were at this stage.

darkstar

Haha wearing a helmet on a sledge?? I snowboarded everyday for 5 months, hiking off piste, hitting 60ft kickers and street rails, only wore a helmet on few occasions ( dangerous hits) and was fine. Next people will have to wear a helmet to drive a car or walk to the shop..

Top Bottom