why so many punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gatorskins - great name, totally crap tyre, think I had them on for a week when I got my Pearson years ago, I was the only person to puncture - twice! on along club ride, thought it just bad luck but punctured again the next day. As I have said on another thread and as Eddy says, Bontrager Racelight Hardcase, never ridden a more puncture proof tyre.
However, the compromise isn't rolling resistance, it's grip. Hardcase tyres are just that, they are made from a harder compound but because of that they don't grip and corner as well as soft compound ones.

U

User6179

C What we all want is a light punture proof tyre that rolls well.

Bontrager Racelite Hardcase. Ridden a few tyres and they offer the best compromise in my experience

Not tried these!

Had experiance of dutch perfect tyre which i believe guarantees no puntures for one year or you get another tyre free.

My m8 bought two,fitted one on the back then cycled 26 miles and caught side of kerb at about 5 mph and the tyre ripped apart!

Fitted second one and got 40 miles and a punture!

Found out you need to buy their tubes aswell to claim their guarantee!lol

GrasB

Veteran
Had experiance of dutch perfect tyre which i believe guarantees no puntures for one year or you get another tyre free.

My m8 bought two,fitted one on the back then cycled 26 miles and caught side of kerb at about 5 mph and the tyre ripped apart!

Fitted second one and got 40 miles and a punture!

Found out you need to buy their tubes aswell to claim their guarantee!lol
Conti have a 1 year puncture guarantee with their Sports Contact tyres which includes a tube.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I switched to Marathon Plus tyres after many visits at the end of last year. I know I'm tempting the Fairy, so I won't say it. There is a good YouTube clip of how to get them on the rims.

Edit: +1 to ColinJ's comments about locating the cause. I carry a marker pen.

OP
OP
E

esrite

are the same tyre comparable between types of bikes - i.e i bought the gators for a MTB and found them poor for punctures, a fellow cyclist that works with me here bought them at roughly the same time for his road bike and has not had a problem. he does roughly the same daily mileage as me in London (20 miles). I ask for two reason:

1. when the weather is better I want to do a few charity bike rides and going back to gator/slicks might help with the speed/mileage

• ive noticed a couple of you recommend slicker tyres for road bikes (700c) whereas im on MTB

snailracer

Über Member
are the same tyre comparable between types of bikes - i.e i bought the gators for a MTB and found them poor for punctures, a fellow cyclist that works with me here bought them at roughly the same time for his road bike and has not had a problem. he does roughly the same daily mileage as me in London (20 miles). I ask for two reason:

1. when the weather is better I want to do a few charity bike rides and going back to gator/slicks might help with the speed/mileage

• ive noticed a couple of you recommend slicker tyres for road bikes (700c) whereas im on MTB
A road bike will use narrower tyres, so will sweep less of the road with the same model of tyre than a MTB with wider versions.

Also, road cyclists tend to avoid potholes, cracks, etc. like the plague to avoid rim damage, and that is where a lot of debris (glass, thorns, etc.) accumulates.

Top Bottom