Why you shouldn't just blindly follow the Sat-Nav...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'd have to disagree with the councilor about bollards. There are plenty of clues that you don't drive there.
Hopefully the driver's employer took action against him for such gross stupidity and ignorance of some basic road craft.

presta

Guru
The Army & Navy flyover in Chelmsford was a single lane width, with motorised signs to switch the direction of flow according to the morning & evening rush hour traffic. There were frequent head-on crashes up on top when people ignored the No Entry signs, even in the days before satnav.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/watch-car-reverses-down-army-1175698

2_army-and-navy-flyover-closed-september-2.jpg

_102479082_angrab2google.jpg

%2f15%2f3C13146200000578-0-image-a-4_1484234507904.jpg

The Army & Navy flyover in Chelmsford was a single lane width, with motorised signs to switch the direction of flow according to the morning & evening rush hour traffic. There were frequent head-on crashes up on top when people ignored the No Entry signs, even in the days before satnav.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/watch-car-reverses-down-army-1175698

View attachment 719224

View attachment 719225

View attachment 719226

That hi-viz cop looks very entertained by the situation!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I went there once for work related meeting. Admittedly it was a room in a government building, which was available for meeting members of the public, but both my colleague and I were shocked by the meeting table being bolted to the floor and the chairs on either side of the table being chained to the floor.
So for me, once was enough.
Sounds like the Border Agency buildings, i worked there and for numerous other Croydon customers in yrs gone by.

Ghastly town.

Alex321

Veteran
Sounds quite reasonable. I can't think of anything that could go wrong

Apart from that :laugh:

There is a "tidal flow" system in place on one of the main routes into Cardiff, where the central lane is for incoming traffic at certain times, and outgoinig traffic at other times, all controlled by traffic lights. It doesn't seem t cause many problems.
1705664013585.png

1705664116052.png

presta

Guru
That hi-viz cop looks very entertained by the situation!
There was an incident where a rear wheel snagged on the metalwork as someone went through the parapet and left the car dangling over the edge, but I can't find the photo.

Sounds quite reasonable. I can't think of anything that could go wrong
Apart from that :laugh:
It's gone now, they found corrosion in the legs a few years ago and decided repairing it wasn't worth the cost. It was well worth the cost of building it though, the Army & Navy's one of the worst bottlenecks in the region, and the traffic jams were legendary in the days before the bypass* was built. Even after they put the flyover in, I used to queue for nearly two miles** every morning just to cross that roundabout. Before the flyover opened in 1978, they had Traffic Wardens on point duty in the rush hour, just to limit the chaos.

(* In 1931 it was the bypass, but they had to build another one in 1986)
(** I never actually discovered how long that queue was, I joined it part way along)

Top Bottom