Whyte Charing Cross - problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HammeredUrchin

Bought from Evans - £849 (through price match)

Hi all, just thought I would share with you the problems Ive been having with my Whyte Charing Cross Cyclocross bike.
Just for background, I commute daily from Tottenham Hale Station to Millbank (Houses of Parliament), about nine miles each way, the route is all road work. I had been doing the journey on a Brompton M6, which was just about coping with the trip, so i decided to invest in a new bike capable of doing the trip, aswell as some weekend work, I researched the web and found that a cyclocross bike would be the better option to take the strains of daily commuting.

I finally settled on the Whyte Charing Cross, had a test ride, it felt smooth, quick the riding position felt comfortable, it was the bike for me! Whyte were also bold in advertising that the bike was aimed at the commuter market!. Ive had the bike about 5 weeks now, initially I had no problems, the daily commute was a joy (apart from the bloody rain), it was comfortable, the Tiagra gearing worked like a dream, the disk brakes were very responsive in the wet. Then came the two punctures on the back wheel in a week, first a ripped tyre, I replaced the tyre with a Specialized Armadillo, three days later another puncture on the same back wheel, but hey ho thats bad luck.

Then last week, I get a broken spoke on the back wheel, the wheel became really distorted and unridable, which surprised me, a Cyclocross bike should have wheels able to cope with the terrible London roads. Took the bike back to Evans who replaced the spoke and trued the wheel, at no cost, I thought fair enough no problem. On Tuesday, Im cycling along the Embankment, look down, another spoke has broken on the back wheel, another distorted wheel, straight back into Evans, who replaced the broken spoke and re-tensioned the rest. No Cost once again. Then Wednesday evening on the Embankment once again, I hear "twang", guess what, another broken spoke on the back wheel, the third in a week, I limp the bike back to Evans (Victoria), who throughout this espisode have been great. Somewhat surprised at seeing me again, they check the wheel strength and its fine, they then deduce that the problem must be with the quality of spokes used by Whyte, its pointed out that if they go back to Whyte for a replacement wheel, you are just replacing like with like, so to Evans credit they are going to replace all the spokes with stronger ones and hand build the wheel for me at no cost. Hopefully the end to the saga.

I am somewhat surprised that a bike aimed at the commuter market, and also a Cyclocross bike is unable to cope with rigours of road work only. Thanks for listening to me spout on about my problems, but thought I would share them and bring to your attention some of the quality issues my Whyte Charing Cross is having, and hopefully make people aware of potential issues, if considering to buy this bike in the future.

I of course will keep you updated on any further issues.

Regards

Hammered

stewyb

Cheers for posting this.

I am about to buy a CC as well, for a Clapham to Victoria commute so this is very valuable information. I might pop next door and ask the guys in Evans as I work next door to the Victoria branch.

Just wondering where you managed to get the price match from? I haven't found it cheaper than £999 yet...?

Cheers

Stew

OP
OP
H

HammeredUrchin

Hi Stew
Since Evans rebuilt my back wheel, I know its only been 2-3 weeks, but its been fine and Ive done a good fews miles since, and with the good weather Ive been riding home daily from Millbank to Harlow, the bike is comfortable, quick and you eat up the hills, well pleased with it. As for Evans (Victoria) I can't say enough good things about that store, they were great with the problems I had.

With the price match, I was lucky, I was googling Whyte CC, looking for reviews when I spotted that Edinburgh Cycling Corp had dropped the price, and it was for the weekend only, so I shot down to Evans to nab the price, and even they were surprised. I know its a bit late now, but I did see Action Bikes last weeked have a 10% of everything in store, and I know they sell the Whyte CC, it might just be the case of googling daily and waiting for other outlets to have a special offer. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
H

HammeredUrchin

Cheers for posting this.

I am about to buy a CC as well, for a Clapham to Victoria commute so this is very valuable information. I might pop next door and ask the guys in Evans as I work next door to the Victoria branch.

Just wondering where you managed to get the price match from? I haven't found it cheaper than £999 yet...?

Cheers

Stew
Hi Stew,
Urchin again, you might want to know the Whyte CC is on offer at Winstanley bikes for £799 (dont know how long for), Ive had a look and I believe its one the copmnies Evans price match with.

Top Bottom